VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bad News From A Friend

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

One of my buddies from Vietnam emailed me today and told me he went to the VA ER today and they told him he was having congestive heart failure. He is 20% For DMII and the VA has low balled him on everything else. He is worried he is going to die. The VA doctor had been treating him for months and telling him not to worry about weakness that it was just DMII. I think he should sue this miserable bastard. Now he is in heart failure and his heart is full of fluid. What is his best course of action. I told him to see a real doctor outside the VA and file for service connection for the heart as secondary to the DMII but he is very sick. I was telling him about survivors benefits for his wife and that she should insist on pursuing this. I feel like I am telling him something but I am a day late and a dollar short. I told him to come here and post. My other two closest friends in Nam are already dead. The VA doctor at the ER told him he might die. Can you imagine what he is going through?

John

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Guest terrysturgis

John, I've lost Viet Nam buddies lately to cancers that I know were AO connected. It sometimes feels like I am the last one standing at times. I am blessed to be in fairly good health despite the DMII and secondaries. When I stand with the Patroit Guard Riders I wear the 101st shirt that belonged to my friend that died from liver cancer under my leather jacket.

When your buddy gets better he needs to get aggressive with his claim. It sure would help him to come to this site as when he sees that other folks have won with the same DMII condition he has that he can win too. He needs IMO's and the rest of what you and I know he needs to win his claim.

Let me know if I can help in any way. Take care. Terry Sturgis

Guest fla_viking

Dear Jhon

I had congestive heart failure and was hospitlized immeaidtly. They use dyalisis to get the water out of his heart. The Dr knows this and may be just watching him die. If he goes to the ER they will admit him and put him on dyalisis. E mail me and I will give you my cel # for him to call me.

Terry Higgins

• HadIt.com Elder

John,

Do they at least have enough sense to immediately place him on Lasix?

He needs to get out of there, but is he able?

If the doctor told him that he might be dying, is he able to walk out of there?

John, since you know the hospital that he is in, call the doctor or the Hosital Administrator and get him some help.

Surely, someone will have to talk to you.

Couldn't they place him on dialysis as mentioned. Place the call yourself.

Do the talking for your buddy, for he must be pretty weak by now.

It seems sort of strange to me, just about everyone on his site is a Diabetic, including myself.

Does this illness come from being in the military? Any branch, time or place?

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't write your buddy off yet. They can treat it but they need to go after it and not wait. There are meds that can help his heart.

I will light a candle for your buddy.

• HadIt.com Elder
One of my buddies from Vietnam emailed me today and told me he went to the VA ER today and they told him he was having congestive heart failure. He is 20% For DMII and the VA has low balled him on everything else. He is worried he is going to die. The VA doctor had been treating him for months and telling him not to worry about weakness that it was just DMII. I think he should sue this miserable bastard. Now he is in heart failure and his heart is full of fluid. What is his best course of action. I told him to see a real doctor outside the VA and file for service connection for the heart as secondary to the DMII but he is very sick. I was telling him about survivors benefits for his wife and that she should insist on pursuing this. I feel like I am telling him something but I am a day late and a dollar short. I told him to come here and post. My other two closest friends in Nam are already dead. The VA doctor at the ER told him he might die. Can you imagine what he is going through?

John

John - yes I can imagine but unfortunately we are all going to die. Hopefully later than sooner, especially if the VA is paying our claim. No offense but the heart is a pump and is hopefully always filled with fluid. In CHF the heart is unable to pump all of he fluid and it backs up into the lungs. He needs private care. Free VA care is worth just what you pay for it. jmo

pr

Guest fla_viking

Dear Fellow Veterans & Friends

I had congestive heart failure and was hospitlized. they put a port in my shoulder and on dyalisis. With in a year I went from 290 to 225 lbs. It was all water in me. He probly has kidney failure and needs to be on dyalisis. Any Emergency room will treat him for this and the VA will pay. It sounds like his local VA dont have the ablity to do dylisis.

Terry Higgins