VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Conditions

Rate this question

usaf1970

Question

I received a service connected disability rating for kidney disease recently of 60%. I have multiple other conditions at least two of which should have no problem being connected as a secondary disease. Gout and hypertension. Since I am going through the process of filing another claim...I feel like I might as well throw everything out on the table. So a couple of other things that I have also filed for aren't as clearly connected. Depression and sleep apnea.

My question is, should i even bother pushing the envelope on the other two conditions - depression and sleep apnea? I dont know if they are related or caused by kidney problems or not. So could it hurt anything to submit them as well as the other two? Without a doubt in my mind I have bad depression as a result of kidney disease and gout.

What are your thoughts?

My husband filed for PTSD and his C&P examiner decided he did not have PTSD but instead has an adjustment disorder due to his kidney disease, not service connected at this point. In my husband's case, we think it's a ridiculous diagnosis because he had all his mental issues before he had the kidney disease but this is just to show you that VA thinks that a kidney disease can cause a mental health problem.

Kate

USAF 1970...I just read that you got your RETRO yesterday!

Try to hold onto some of it in case you need an IMO to prove the secondarys.

If you can ,but RELAX first and enjoy the Holiday,and this Victory) scan and attach here the Reasons, Bases, and Evidence list from the decision?

Cover the C file number, name , address prior to scanning.

Mike made a good point.....have you been treated yet for the depression?

Yes Berta, I got 2 months retro so im not retiring anytime soon but I actually never thought id get anything after the original denial so this is a blessing.

I will definitely hold on to some for the IMO. Thanks for the advice.

The letter I received from the VA does not look like a cfile that I've seen people scan on here before. I will snap a picture of the section that discusses what they decided.

I am on medication for depression and I have been for probably 6 years now. I dont see a therapist or anything. But I have been to one a couple of times in the past.

Yes Berta, I got 2 months retro so im not retiring anytime soon but I actually never thought id get anything after the original denial so this is a blessing.

Original denial......?

"I received a service connected disability rating for kidney disease recently of 60%"

Were you ever denied in the past for this same renal condition, but never appealed that denial and then you re opened the claim?

I am just checking that because I always look for potentials for CUE claims.

"I got 2 months retro" 2 months?????? did you file this claim a little over 2 months ago?????

How the heck did they come up with that date?

I thought you got more than that.

The copy didn't say much....are you able to scan the Reasons and Bases part of the decision? And the Evidence list and attach that here??