VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Not P&t, Work Let Me Go. Next Step Help Please.

Rate this question

mariorivera830

Question

Ok I'm in one hell of a spot right now folks. And I don't know what to do yet.

I went to work to ask for accommodation for my PTSD and sleep apnea. They asked for medical proof and I showed them my decision letter from a few months back.

Well that didn't go as planned. I was brought in to the papermill managers office and was told that I may be a hazard to myself and others. I've been there for the past 9 years and surprisingly, the company is being really supportive of my getting healthy. Aside from being let go, that is.

I was told that short term disability that will lead to either long term disability or social security is my best option. My main concern is health care for my wife and children. And the gap of income between now and approval of ssdi or ltd.

So, aside from the 6 hours it took me to stop feeling sorry for myself, this has all ive been thinking about. So any guidance anyone can provide would be super helpful.

Thanks and have a happy Thanksgiving.

• HadIt.com Elder

I hope you're appealing it. PTSD is not something a "reasonable person" might have thought s/he had. Insurance companies routinely deny claims knowing claimants rarely appeal their decisions. jmo

pr

routinely deny claims knowing claimants rarely appeal

My LTD was denied because PTSD was a " pre-existing" condition that a "reasonable person" would have sought treatment for earlier.
Filing for P and T is risky in most cases. But it may be an option for you.

Alright folks, after much conversation, disagreement and eating, my wife and I are ready to move forward with an application for short term disability.

I talked to hr from where I worked and was told that I have until about Dec 18th to get short term disability approved. At that point I will be kept on the books so that I can switch over to long term disability. If it doesn't come through, I have been offered a modest severance package to help for a couple of months until I can get social security going.

The company has been really helpful in helping getting me right again. Or at least as right as I can be. So legally, I feel right pursuing anything. I feel as though they truly care about me personally.

So the question is: where do I begin?

I've applied on the CA edd website for short term disability. But it says that it's pending for the physician part. How to I get this to my VA doctor?

Should I start a social security application, or wait for short term disability? And what would I need to take to the ssa office?

And lastly, how does that fact that I'm not 100 p&t factor in to all of this?

Thank you all and I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.

-Mario

I would contact the EEOC. Im sure this is illegal and can be addressed through the courts.

"NEVER GIVE UP"

That's what happened today. I applied for ssdi, it was a fairly painless process... So far. So painless, I am considering whether I should have talked to an attorney first. Oh well, live and learn right? We will see what happens.

Second. About short term disability, in California, what's the process? I submitted the application online and it says "pending physician's portion". I tried to print something or find a link that I can send to my VA doctor, but I am completely lost and I don't want to delay this any more than necessary. Does anyone have any pointers for this part?

Thanks

-Mario

• HadIt.com Elder

Make a copy of the termination letter and Immediatly ask the VA for P&T status. Tell them you filed for SSDI.

Once you get P and T you are entitled to ChampVA for the wife and Kids. They pay back to the effective date iof the P and T so get it done Asap.

You can also check on Champ VA dental which you qualify for Right now for the wife and Kids.

JBasser