VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Not P&t, Work Let Me Go. Next Step Help Please.

Rate this question

mariorivera830

Question

Ok I'm in one hell of a spot right now folks. And I don't know what to do yet.

I went to work to ask for accommodation for my PTSD and sleep apnea. They asked for medical proof and I showed them my decision letter from a few months back.

Well that didn't go as planned. I was brought in to the papermill managers office and was told that I may be a hazard to myself and others. I've been there for the past 9 years and surprisingly, the company is being really supportive of my getting healthy. Aside from being let go, that is.

I was told that short term disability that will lead to either long term disability or social security is my best option. My main concern is health care for my wife and children. And the gap of income between now and approval of ssdi or ltd.

So, aside from the 6 hours it took me to stop feeling sorry for myself, this has all ive been thinking about. So any guidance anyone can provide would be super helpful.

Thanks and have a happy Thanksgiving.

My husband had to have surgery on his feet that are SC. He asked for time off for the surgery and recovery which could be 3-6 months. He was denied because they would have been too short-staffed. He had been taking time off due to the pain and was told that although they were not questioning his disability and need to be off, they could not continue allowing him to miss so much work. He ended up having to take early retirement which he gets $500 a month now and was making $42,000 annually. By the way, he worked for the VA.

Make a copy of the termination letter and Immediatly ask the VA for P&T status. Tell them you filed for SSDI.

Once you get P and T you are entitled to ChampVA for the wife and Kids. They pay back to the effective date iof the P and T so get it done Asap.

You can also check on Champ VA dental which you qualify for Right now for the wife and Kids.

JBasser

Thanks! I didn't know that you can ask for p&t outright. Champva is the ultimate goal for us, being already 100% with smc-s. I FINALLY got my smr file and have a few nod's to file from my last decision (sept) should I throw in the p&t request with them?

My husband had to have surgery on his feet that are SC. He asked for time off for the surgery and recovery which could be 3-6 months. He was denied because they would have been too short-staffed. He had been taking time off due to the pain and was told that although they were not questioning his disability and need to be off, they could not continue allowing him to miss so much work. He ended up having to take early retirement which he gets $500 a month now and was making $42,000 annually. By the way, he worked for the VA.

That's pretty much what happened with me. But they are giving me alot of Windows to try to make up the money I am going to miss out on. We were already short staffed before I talked to anyone and I know that they are struggling now.