VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bva Docket Number

Rate this question

hurryupnwait

Question

My attorney filed a form 9 in Aug 2014, where do I find my docket number or is it too early. Where can I track the progress of my appeal other than ebenefits which has been difficult to access because of constant log in problems, is down or gives cut and paste status reports. I just want to track my appeal movement up the docket. My attorney will have it, but I would like to find it and track it on my own.

Thanks

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

It is quite possible the that RO has not transferred your appeal to the BVA yet.

Aug 2014 wasnt that long ago.

When they do that,the formal BVA transfer, you will receive a letter from the BVA with the docket number on it.

After that you can always contact the BVA Ombudsman (I put their contact info here many times)

to try to get a status of the appeal.

But usually all they give is a guess as to where your appeal is, within the backlogged cases, as to a time frame for it to be decided...just .a guesstimate.

I asked the ombudsman once by phone how many feet below the top of the appeals stack I was and how high in feet the stack was. They laughed....but gave me an estimate that was about 2 more years.

My remand however went VERY fast.

If you have waived further consideration at the RO level, make sure you send any additional evidence to the BVA and put the docket number on a cover letter referencing what you have sent ( and get a proof of mailing)

At the BVA one vet with PTSD filed an amended claim in 2010. She had 10 Issues, some granted and some denied.

Her decision was rendered by the in September 2014

Another veteran testified before the BVA in 2010 over a 2005 decision and a 2008 decision.

Their BVA decision came in Feb 2014.

They too had multiple issues, won some, lost some and ended up with a remand.

A widows claim, filed in 2006 was denied by the BVA in Sept 2014.

These were all detailed cases with multiple issues.

My BVA case arose from a 2003 claim. The award didnt come until 2009, about 4 years after I filed the I-9 and had very probative evidence.

Unfortunately the RO had ignored all of it but I sent it all directly to the BVA, they read it all.

I had asked for a remand myself and that added more time to the case.,but I knew BVA would have remanded it anyhow due to VCAA violation.

You are looking at least at 2 years for the BVA to render a decision.

Remands have caused most of the backlog.

If you have a fairly straight forward claim with ample evidence to service connect it and can prove that the RO denial was wrong, your BVA case should not have to go over 2 years to be resolved.

That miserable waiting period ,in the long run, provides us all with an opportunity to seek even more evidence or save up for an IMO.

Personally I think they should reconstruct the ROs and put BVA trained lawyers in place of the raters and DROs. BVA lawyers can read.

Ok, thanks Berta. I ll wait till I receive a letter from the BVA with the docket number. I noticed that when my attorney, Ken Carpenter, sent the form 9 letter he put in bold print that we "are not requesting a personal hearing or the opportunity to provide testimony before the board." Do you think he did this to speed up the process or for some other reason.

Hard to figure out why he did that.

Ken Carpenter is a Great attorney.