VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Online! Help! I Hope I Don't Die Of Stupidity.

Rate this topic

I have been taking 2 20mg fluoxetines and 2 75mg bupropions every morning for several years now.

I have been miserable with a cold for a few days and wanted to get a good nights sleep.

For the first time in decades I took a dose of nyquil.

This raised my wifes eyebrows so I went to the 'net to check.

OMG!

Fluoxetine with nyquil is listed as a MAJOR no-no and bupropion as a moderate.

The list of dangerous interactions will curl your hair! It includes death!

Should I take it easy because everyone has done this before and came out okay...or should I rush to the ER?

Gary

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hi Gary,

I hope you made it through ok, but here's the "major" interactions according to this web site:

http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/fluoxetine-with-nyquil-1115-0-55-1943.html

Talk to your doctor before using dextromethorphan together with FLUoxetine. Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Remember, you can always call 911 if it is an emergency, otherwise you can call the Portland VAMC nurse hotline 24 hours a day: 503-220-8262 (http://www.portland.va.gov/emergency)

Good luck!