VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vso - Georgia Department Of Veterans Services - Warning!

Rate this question

elcamino_77us

Question

I know I found a negative post on here a couple of years ago about the Georgia Department of Veterans Services and may have added to that post.

I'm here to tell you that this group can't be counted on to represent you.

I'm in the process of switching my VSO to the DAV. The reps I've had through the Georgia Department of Veterans Services at the Atlanta Level are on the same level as those we're facing with the VA itself. SUB-PAR!!! I'm sure that there are those who do a good job and work hard, I've not been lucky enough to have one.

I've called the Georgia's Governor's Office Three time on advice from my local Senator's Office. It didn't make any kind of difference. The GA Dept of Veterans Services would call and promise to call me back in 24 hours and I'd never hear from them again.

James Beal at the Georgia's Governor's Office would like to hear from anybody that's had problems with the Georgia Department of Veterans Services. His number is (404) 656-1776. If your having problems or recently had problems with the Georgia Department of Veterans Services he needs to hear what we've been going through.

Bill

• HadIt.com Elder

Bill, that could be a case od Dyslexia. AL. American Legion. The VA also has a form of dyslexia. The Veteran states this claim should be a Picnic but the RO reads it as this claim should use a Nitpick.

J

jbasser,

It hit me later that night when I went to bed, LoL.

That's who I used in the first place that really screwed my claim up. Apparently, the American Legion uses state service groups like the Georgia Department of Veterans Services to do the local stuff. My 2008 BVA which was a continuation of my original claim from 1995 was handled by the "AL." While researching for my 2013 claim, I requested my C-File for the first time and became amazed at the level of deception the VA had used in my 2008 BVA. They lied about the lack of previous diagnoses while in the Marines, deliberately misquoted doctor statements, and were allowed to use my first two C&P Exams as evidence even though they had been ruled as Inadequate for Rating. After showing all of this to my US Rep's Office, we filed a reconsideration of my 2008 BVA. After it got up to the BVA in Washington, I contacted the "AL" who was somewhat disturbed that I questioned the decision as he had worked the case. I was just trying to see if there was anything that they needed to help my case. He told me the misquotes were just typo's and made other excuses. He also stated that since I had spent so much time on it he would go ahead and submit it. At the end, he did state to me that he would read it. After two week past, I called to check and see where we were at. He hadn't even bothered to read it and told me he was just going to go ahead and submit it.

When I went this time with the Georgia Department of Veterans Services, I didn't realize until after it was too late the the two were connected at the hip.

Bill

Edited by elcamino_77us

Ok, Update!!!

After talking with the Local Congressman's Office, I mailed all of the Georgia State Representatives on the Georgia Department of Veterans Services Committee about the lack of service that I had received. It wasn't no time and I received a phone call from the Deputy Director. He seemed to be very upset about what had been going on and promised that this would be fixed. Apparently he is a Retired Army SgtMaj and he stayed true to his word. The next week I had not one, but three phone calls from them concerning my case. They also called me this past week as well.

Bill

Edited by elcamino_77us

I went to them with a question, and he couldn't get me out of the office fast enough. Didn't really help much, and then I got a letter from the VA and i noticed that they are listed as my representative. I didn't realize that because I used them on a claim 15 years ago, they were still being notified about my new claims which I worked up myself.

• HadIt.com Elder

My experience with the Georgia Department of Veterans Services dates back some time ago. The local field rep. helped me file the first claim, a simple one issue claim that I was advised to do.

Some years later, according to Georgia tax practices, etc. I had to get a letter from the same field rep. attesting that the VA award letter really meant what it said. (State and county tax reductions were involved)

The veteran's brochure currently on line at the GDVS website was last revised in 2012, and may not be completely current. The Atlanta VARO has GDVS reps that are also VSO's for the veteran's orgs (VFW, AL, DVA, etc.)

They were still listed as representing me, even though I had filled out and sent in the VA's forms changing representation to a lawyer. I found out, called, and asked why, etc.

Turned out that the VA had entered the new form in the "system", but somehow had not corrected/updated everything that needed updating.

Edited by Chuck75