VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• 2023-foeum-banner.jpg

• red-rectangle-thin-bar.png

Ask Your VA Claims QuestionThe LatestVeterans Crisis Line

red-rectangle-thin-bar.png

• Get Your HadIt.com Merch! Check them out here2022-11-16_06-22-29.png

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Ssdi Denial For Lack Of Quarters - Ideas? Thanks, Cg

cowgirl

Question

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

10 answers to this question

Guest Dataman

Gee none that I know of. SSI does not require qrts, but income based (Won't qualify if you have too much income 600 bucks or so).

Talk to a SSA Lawyer and see what's next.

DM

• HadIt.com Elder
Already advised you what to do, a few posts down.

pr

thanks, working that disability onset issue date now. just double checkin my brain yours,cg

My wife applied for SSD a couple of years ago and was denied.

Her depression has gotten worse and she is thinking about trying again.

She has never worked outside our home.

Question is: How much might she receive monthly? Would the fact that she didn't work determine the monthly check?

Any advice will be appreciated.

R,

Don

• HadIt.com Elder

Many times a Veteran does not get credit to quarters earned due to service and that will get them over the hump. To get SSD you have to work enough quarters to qualify for it. Another mistake sometimes made is when the applic ation does not ask for the claim to tie into last day worked.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, sometimes the SSA overlooks military time worked. I tied my last day worked into the first day of disability recognized by SSA. Mine was pretty dramatic since I got fired due to my disability so it was not hard to show the date. Same date for IU and for my start of disability insurance to start. If I could wish one thing is that I had gotten more long term disability insurance and that I had gotten an inflation rider tacked on but my agent talked me out of it. Every young person who can afford disability insurance should get it from private company. More important than life insurance by far.

donnieragsdale

If your wife never worked outside the home, she dowsn't qualify for SSDI, as you have to have 40 quarters of work which equals 10 years working time. I have a aunt who had 28 quaters, and she has diabetes real bad, bad heart, she was given 10 years to live 11 years ago, so she is on borrored time, and she doesn't qualify. the only way your wife could get SSDI, if you are dead and you qualify, then she could collect of off you. this was the rule a few years back, unless the rules have changed, but just go the social security site, and check it out for sure

http://www.ssa.gov/

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't forget that even though you don't qualify for SSD you may still quaify for Medicare. My recommendation is to work with a good Social Worker to see what benefits are available and keep looking cause new stuff pops up all the time.

Three years ago I went to see about SSDI and was told I had to have worked five of the last ten years. I hadn't so they told me to hit the road. When I applied for regular SS I received extra credit for service time.

• HadIt.com Elder

Got a new twist to my process, not eleigible for SSI needing SSDI.

Scenario one;base on "if's" and a period of waiting time. So, if VA approves my claim, then I can NOD/CUE for date of original claim for same (years back under different terminology/wrong Service diagnosis). Then I could "validate" onset of my disability and unemployment dates. Enough quarters military wise.

Scenario two. Meanwhile, I could still do temporary work that tires me and increase my disability condition. I can contract to provide a few days a week work aka private contractor, no social security. Maybe in a year or so, I would then have to pay Social Security to make up the differences in the quarters needed for SSDI benefits I hope for somewhere in the future.

What fun, whatever scenario, I sure hope my body and mind doesnt fall apart before something is resolved.? cg