VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nod

Rate this question

Jmgonzales1966

Question

I had mine hand stamped at the regional office on the 21st of November assuming that would get it into "the system" sooner. What I've learned is this:

In my area (and I've been led to believe this is true for most if not all Regional Offices now) the NOD, even if it's a request for informal DRO review, IS SENT TO GEORGIA FOR SCANNING. Even though the my area regional office has the capability of scanning it in, the centralization process dictates that it goes to Georgia, via snail mail, waits in queue, and is eventually scanned in, averaging 30 to 90 days.

To BYPASS this process, I worked with the Veteran's Benefits Representative that is assigned to my local Medical Center (he sits in an office near the DAV and other Service Organization Officers, but he is actually an employee of the VBA, and he has the ability to get the document scanned in immediately, which effectively bypassess the whole Georgia process).

That happened a day or two ago, and I've been told to expect to see it in eBennies within a few days. I'll followup and let you know how soon it does. I'm just not sure where to look - in appeals I guess (it's a NOD, but with a request for an in person informal DRO review).

p.s. it helps that both he and my DAV Rep strongly support my NOD - I don't know if bypassing the centralized process would be considered going out on a limb for someone or not, but I got the impression they don't do it routinely.

Glassrose I dont know about the centralized process but it sounds like you prepared a great NOD to get the support of both of these reps.

I consider the NOD as the first avenue of attack.

In 1988 I prepared a NOD for my husband ( he had gotten a proposal to reduce his 30% PTSD on Christmas Eve 1988.The Xmas tree went flying out the door he was so furious.

Within about 7=8 months his POA ( AMVETS) called him but he was getting out of the car from work ( he worked at the local VA) and AMVETS asked me who prepared the NOD and when I said I did...what is wrong now, they said nothing..it was a good one and they reversed their decision to try to reduce him.

It was the first NOD I ever prepared. I used the exact regs they sent with the reduction proposal and then I used some down right common sense ,in the NOD.

Actually it was pretty funny ..what I said to them as to the common sense part.. but in those days my RO could read and the NOD worked.

By the time my husband got in the door the rep repeated what he had told me and that Christmas the tree stayed firmly in the house.

Their rationale in the proposed reduction was one of the dumbest ones I have seen yet.

Oddly enough, by Dec 1988, they had already committed malpractice on him.I didnt prove that until 1997.

And another ironic thing is that his posthumous award for PTSD at death was 100% with an EED of Nov 1991.

How can a vet jump from 30 % SC for PTSD since 1983, ,with a proposed reduction to 10% in 1988, and then get 100% 3 years after he died with an EED back to 1991 years after the proposed reduction?

Because they are incompetent and medically negligent idiots...... that's why.

I sure hope your NOD might well turn the tide for you.

In NODs I have always scanned into the NOD or typed verbatim in quotes, every single statement they make that is wrong and then I tell them why it is wrong.

Next to responding to a legal VCAA notice,with the evidence they say they still need,

in my opinion, the NOD is the most important document we claimants need to prepare.

I agree Berta, and thanks for the compliment. The VBA fellow asked for a template to share with other veterans and I'm thinking about stripping my data out and making it available to him electronically. The NOD itself was on the new form, with large blocked text in each section including by reference the six paged supplementary document, which was organized thusly:

Each section started with a direct quote from the decision document, then had a direct quote from the rating guidelines for the rating I believe most accurately represented my situation, then a detailed list of documents of record and new evidence since the claim that supported that rating. In many cases quotes from the document of record were included.

It took me 364 days to complete, with lots of help from my husband, and they thought it was extremely effective. Also, because I'm at the VA medical center on average 3 to 4 days a week most weeks, these guys see me a lot! Mostly just passing in the hallways - but as the DAV fellow said - "I see you here in your power chair nearly every day, and I see that you're sitting sideways from pain, and that your legs are atrophied, and that you never get out of it - I see when you tuck yourself into a corner and put your headphones on and pull your hat low because you're in pain. You shouldn't BE in this appeal line," he said. And if feels like both of them are going to do whatever they can to help me get through it. For which I am really GRATEFUL. I'll let you know how it goes!

Update - it took about a week and a half for it to show up in eBennies (might have been a few days sooner, I forgot to check for awhile...)

I have been waiting for my LOD for one year and one month but still has not moved from the main va office in Reno. I have called for status to the va 1-800 number and they tell me it can take up to 162 days and she looks at mine and laughs she says that it is well over the 162 days all I can do is wait because they are backlog and I should keep calling to see what the status is. Well that does not help me very much when I have been waiting over a year does anybody have any ideas where I should go from here?