VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Group Life Insurance (Vgli)

Rate this question

rpowell01

Question

Can anybody tell me the year this program/insurance was created? I don't remember being offered this whenever I was discharged from the Army. Its a life insurance that allowance a service member to convert their SGLI to VGLI to keep their policy as long as the premiums are paid.

On the VA's website it reads:

Enrollment Period

You have 1 year and 120 days from your date of separation to apply for VGLI. If you apply for coverage within 240 days of your date of separation, you will not need to answer health questions.

Nowhere does it show when it was created. I am just wondering if it was created after I was discharged and if its offered retro to veterans. The NSLI only has a maximum of 10k and I need something more to take care of my family just in case I go home to be with The Lord.

Or can anybody link me to a good insurance company that offers great life insurance at a low premium.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• In Memoriam

Hadit/SVR Radio. Had several programs with a guy named Barry Haydt on1-18-2012,2-22-2012,5-30-2012. If you look up the programs and listen to them Barry leaves the number to call for good information about SGLI,VGLI. These are older programs, but the information is the same. There is a wealth of information on this site for Vets. Go check it out and get the number. These people are friendly to Vets always.

The archives are here:

http://svr-radio.com/archives.html

rpowell: AGE AGE AGE, Whats your age and your health determines what private policies are available to you. As for the 10K from the VA, expensive but VA pays if your at 100 or IU. Got mine back in 2010 when 90% SC. Just recently got IU, VA refunded from IU NOD 2012 date and offered me (2) additional 10K policies that I would have to pay current rate on. Not bad when I compare cost of same pol based on age and disability picture.

Semper Fi

Gastone

• HadIt.com Elder

Can anybody tell me the year this program/insurance was created? I don't remember being offered this whenever I was discharged from the Army. Its a life insurance that allowance a service member to convert their SGLI to VGLI to keep their policy as long as the premiums are paid.

On the VA's website it reads:

Enrollment Period

You have 1 year and 120 days from your date of separation to apply for VGLI. If you apply for coverage within 240 days of your date of separation, you will not need to answer health questions.

Nowhere does it show when it was created. I am just wondering if it was created after I was discharged and if its offered retro to veterans. The NSLI only has a maximum of 10k and I need something more to take care of my family just in case I go home to be with The Lord.

Or can anybody link me to a good insurance company that offers great life insurance at a low premium.

Supposedly, at or just prior to separation or discharge, information concerning this is required to be given. In addition, many insurance companies tried to sell conversion programs of one type or another.

The programs or their predecessors have existed for decades, to the best of my knowledge, at least at the end of WWII. I was given the out-briefing during the separation process in 1968.

• In Memoriam

If you are 100% the VA will waiver the 10,000 for the first award if requested. Most vets skip this step because they feel it is a hastle. Addition coverage can be purchased. Please listen to podcast.

Each time you are granted an additional service connection you have another chance to get additional coverage through VGLI. It is up to you at that point. This is all discussed in the podcast at the link I have provided.

With new service connections your mind could change at that point.

Hmmm I have the 10k with the VA but I still pay $30+ dollars a month even though I have IU. I will listen to the broadcasts...