Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Evidence Discovered By Va Within One Year After Rating Deicion

add55p
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

Can anyone tell me if VA made an error by not considering information discovered by them during within one year of the rating decision (before it became final).

Issue: The VA wrote me an inquiry in 2012 in response to an inry that I sent them regarding my service treatment records: The response that I received from VA stating " there is documentation in your claims files stating that the Roanoak Regional Office requested your Service Treatment Records on May 29, 2002. The Records Mangement Center (RMC) responded on June 11, 2002 stating that the requested records were transferred to your station on March 3, 1998".

My claim was within one year after the rating decision and had not become final. VA never mentioned this discovery in there rating decision or provided me a statement of the case explaining what happen to my service treatment records that were in there possession. My claim is now on appeal with the BVA because the VA states that they must deny because me service treatment records are not available.

Question: Since my rating decision was not final (within the one year mark) should the VA have sent me a Statement of The Case to explain this finding/discovery (based on the response that they sent me regarding my SMRs)?

Thank you

Add

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

ADD: This looks like 1 for Asknod. The fact that there is no mention of what the missing records contain DX wise, in regards to your Denied claim might be problematic. The VA 's duty to assist was attempted but failed to get the records and you didn't have copies to provide, right. As for the S-SOC. My understanding is that as long as your claim is open, VARO level or BVA level, any "New & Material Evidence" received prior to the end of the VA Notice of 90 day N&M Evidence cutoff, a VARO Review of your Denial is mandated by VA Regulation. If what you referred to was not considered "N&M Evidence" by your VARO, no Denial review or subsequent S-SOC would have been completed.

Just for information, did you or are you receiving Claims assistance from a VSO? You might want to consider a couple free Legal consults from VA Accredited Appeals attorneys.

What did your Denial give as reasons for the Denial and what evidence would be necessary to prevail?

Semper Fi

Gastone

"My claim is now on appeal with the BVA because the VA states that they must deny because me service treatment records are not available."

"Question: Since my rating decision was not final (within the one year mark) should the VA have sent me a Statement of The Case to explain this finding/discovery (based on the response that they sent me regarding my SMRs)?"

Possibly , but then again, they had already made the decision.

"The Records Mangement Center (RMC) responded on June 11, 2002 stating that the requested records were transferred to your station on March 3, 1998".

Great ,but where are they now? In your C file that will be transferred to the BVA ?, or have they been retired to St Louis?

This is what I feel you need to do.

You need to advise the BVA ( do you have a docket number there yet) as to this information.

But also, you need to attempt to find those records.

I wonder if they have been sent back to NARA.(they can be requested right at the NARA web site)

But I dont get this:

"The VA wrote me an inquiry in 2012 in response to an inry that I sent them regarding my service treatment records: The response that I received from VA stating

" there is documentation in your claims files stating that the Roanoak Regional Office requested your Service Treatment Records on May 29, 2002. The Records Mangement Center (RMC) responded on June 11, 2002 stating that the requested records were transferred to your station on March 3, 1998". "

I assume that ,in 2012, your claim might still have been at the RO?

If so ,what did you do with this information from IRIS prior to the transfer to the BVA?

What did you do with this information when you got a VA denial that did not refer to the SMRS?

That could have triggered a claim under 38 CFR 3.156., on your part if the RO denied without the SMRs referenced or listed as evidence,if they had received them .

It might still be the basis of a 38 CFR 3.156 issue........hard to say with limited info here....

and the worse case scenario is that the BVA gets the SMRs but they do not support the claim at all....

You could also send another IRIS as a Complaint...they have a pop down Menu for that.

Basically the last IRIS response ( tell them what that response said and when you got it, with the IRIS confirmation number on it)

indicated the RO who denied the claim,had ignored your SMRs and tell them of this statement too.

"My claim is now on appeal with the BVA because the VA states that they must deny because me service treatment records are not available."

Do you have anyone on your POA?

I am thinking the SMRs might still be in your C file....

Have you requested a copy of your C file?

As I mentioned here before I had multiple issues with VA, denied at first because the VA ignored evidence in the file.

They told me one piece of Prime Facie evidence NEVER existed.

I found it right at the bottom of my C file.

if they had not ignored it, my FTCA case would have gone faster.

By Prtme Facie I mean it was a Peer Review VA doctor who had totally agreed with my FTCA charges.Of course they ignored it and told me it never existed....

They ignored ALL of my evidence for my AO DMII claim.

The BVA didn't ignore a single piece of it.

We MUST be proactive on our claims.

About a year ago the VA, after acknowledged receipt of a 1151 claim I filed, started to say I had never filed the claim.

Then I finally found out what happened...they used the 1151 claim as a NOD for a claim I have pending that has not been denied yet..How stupid is that?.

I griped a lot about that to VA and now they say they do have the 1151 claim,pending, the CUE claim,pending, the NOD on the CUE and the NOD request for extension of NOD claim.(because they made a CUE in the award)

And then they opened a new claim for me, for DIC. But I already get DIC.????

In any event I think you are very fortunate to be at the BVA.

The BVA reads evidence. My RO cannot even read a claim properly.

Edited by Berta

Gastone

That is correct, the VA 's duty to assist was attempted but failed to get the records and I didn't have copies to provide. However, the VA never stated in there rating or statement of the case about contacting the RMC. They only stated that they could not get my service treatment records from the Service Department. Va neither mentioned NPRC (unless the service department is considered NPRC).

The Va denial list non incurrence in service, do to lack of medical treatment records. They asked me to send them copies if I had them and they would reconsider my claim. I did not have them so they continued to deny my claim.

And Yes, I am recieving claim assistance from a VSO. However, they have been limited assitance. It is obviously, that they did not review my claims file thoroughly prior to submitting the 646.

Add

Berta

"Great ,but where are they now? In your C file that will be transferred to the BVA ?, or have they been retired to St Louis?"

They are considered lost. I received the lost and attempt to continue to locate them would be futile statement from VA. No they are not in my C-file according to my VSO. St Louis sent me a letter stating that my service medical records were on loan to the VA.

"Do you have anyone on your POA?"

Yes, I have a POA. Not much help. I do most of my own research and submit it through the POA. I once asked the POA Rep if he expounds on what I am sending to VA and his response was that they would not send anything that I sent in that would hurt my claim. Basically, my POA has been a mail distributor for me.

"Have you requested a copy of your C file?"

No, I have not. My POA assured me that the SMRs were not in the C-File.

Add

"And Yes, I am recieving claim assistance from a VSO. However, they have been limited assitance. It is obviously, that they did not review my claims file thoroughly prior to submitting the 646."

"My POA assured me that the SMRs were not in the C-File."

Then the POA must have a copy of your C file that you could look through.

Or whoever prepared the 646.

EXCELLENT................

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• Advertisemnt

• question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.

You can read the forums without registering.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines

<——>