VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security Disability ?

Rate this question

foreveryoung

Question

Hello All, and thanks for the great Podcast with Bob Walsh the other day.

I really liked what he was talking about on Social Security Disability. Bob stated that even if you don't have enough quarters paid in you should still apply.

That's what got me thinking. I retired early from the Federal Government after 30 years, CSRS, 3 years ago, due to my VA disabilities. I would have worked longer if I was able to, but my disabilities told me different. During these 30 years I didn't pay into Social Security, but I did pay into the system earlier in my working career, a total of 23 quarters.

I recently got awarded 100% TDIU P&T after 3 years of back and forth with the VA.

My plan after I retired from the Government was to have a part time job to finish paying my quarters into Social Security. Well that's not going to happen now.

So, here's my question, am I able to apply for Social Security Disability even if I haven't paid into the system in over 30 years?

Thanks for all you do here at Hadit.com for Veterans.

Edited by foreveryoung

Buck,

I don't think they will want that many medical records. The most current ones, that show her current condition, are probably the most important. You could take them all, in chronological order, and they can make copies of the ones they need. Your wife can actually apply online at: https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/dib.

On that page is a link to click about documents you will need. I would hand carry any records they need to the office.

You might also consider filling out an application form and taking it with you to the appointment. I would much rather fill it out myself than have someone write down part of what I said, especially if I didn't know what the questions would be. So if you would rather have them fill out the form for you, it would still be best to read the forms and know in advance what questions you will be asked.

Here are the forms she will need to complete:

Some sources also list Form SSA-3373-BK, Function Report - Adult - PDF File: www.socialsecurity.gov/forms/ssa-3373-bk.pdf

That should keep you busy for awhile.

Edited by free_spirit_etc

Interesting information on how Social Security uses the GRID rules if your impairment does not meet the established standards. If your impairment meets the standards, you are considered disabled. If not, they apply the GRID rules:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-social-security-uses-grid-medical-vocational-rules-decide-disability.html

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you free_spirit_ect

Great information.

we will defiantly print these forms off & fill out before we go to the SSA office.

Thanks for all your help!

.........................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

If she stopped working because of her disability's got to severe on 4 27-2015 can she have a OSD ( on set date) prior to that date because she worked and was in pain a lot with her disability's can she go back to when she was conceder disable which was in 2010

on set date of her disability's was in 2010 she has medical reports to show diagnosis.& impressions from the MD's

the only thing is arguably with SSA is she continue to work up until her disability's forced her to stop working. which that date would be 4-27-2015

Anybody know?

.............Buck

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

My experience with Social Security is that unlike the VA they will try to help you get benefits you have earned. If there is any question you should still make a good attemp at getting SSD. Just my opinion.