VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Will C-Foia Request Delay Claim Processing?

Rate this question

rootbeer22

Question

Folks:

I always appreciated the fine advice that I've been given on this Hadit.com Board. There are a lot of very smart Vets and Spouses that continue to provide excellent advice here. Anyway, last August/2014 after getting some of that advice, I decided to request a copy my C-File because I've heard the numerous stories of missing evidence that has caused denials and subsequent long appeals. So, it been a long battle and I finally received a letter that I could drop by the Regional Office and review my C-file in person? Anyway, today I dropped by to see my VSO to ask why after 6 months my case is still under "review" only and she "scolded" me for submitting a C-File FOIA request without her? She said, by requesting my C-File, that the entire claims process stops for me until they get around to copying the file and sending to me? She said it adds at least 6 months to the process and I filed an FDC with all evidence. She said it best to get the file after your case is decided? So, I said, I thought with the new VBMS that all disability claims files where automatically being digitised anyway so it should be relatively easy to get a copy? Now, all new disability claims files "hard copy" are sent to 2 locations around the U.S. for processing/digitising and the RO's no longer do this function? Frankly, I was a little surprised that she had no idea of what VBMS was and I think her informaiton may be very dated? So far, I have not been very impressed with any of the VSO's that I've seen. It's no presonal, I just don't have much confidence in what they are saying/doing thus far?

Anyway, does anyone have any experience that their claims have been delayed significantly simply by requesting a copy of their C-Files?

Edited by rootbeer22

I requested an appointment to view my c-file while I had a claim pending. Several months later after making the request, I read on Hadit that these type of requests would be considered an FOIA request and they would delay my claim. I cancelled my request to view my c-file and suddenly saw movement of my claim on ebenefits.

I definitely believe requesting a copy of your c-file or even requesting an appointment to view your c-file will delay your claim. I also believe claims can be delayed when veterans contact their congressional member about their claims and this results in a congressional inquiry. Others may disagree. JMO

Since you requested a copy in August 2014, it is most likely too late to cancel the request in time.

By trying to cancel your request for your C-file may not help because your C-file may have already moved from one location to another and canceling your request may cause it to move again which could cause more delays and you will not get your C-file. I know you can get the C-file later but as I said it has been almost four months now and the copy of your C-file should be almost completed by now.

Folks:

Well...I just cancelled to the walk-in and hard copy FOIA all together.

I was wondering why after 6 months it was still stuck in 'review" and I actually started everything one year from this week on my FDC. I did already get my three, "we are sorry for the delay letters". Today, my VSO said that they can only send out 4 of those, so I figure after the 4th one in 2-3 months, I'll see some movement? At the beggining , I put together an extensive package with all of the package organization reccomendations from three Veterans Forums, only to request a FOIA which did just the opposite of what I was trying to achieve in the first place--happened. Ironically, at VAWhatchdog.com, they are very pragmatic about the real timeline and say no matter what a Vet does on their disability package submission it's going to take a couple of years on average anyway to get an answer. So, at this point, I'm just going to step away from ebenefits and the whole process and just what until I get something in the mail...if I don't hear anything in 6 months..I think ebenefits is more of a public relations tool...but not very effective in terms of real status..until the very end of the process...

Edited by rootbeer22

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I would not be surprised if a couple of months rolls by and you get a copy of the c-file in the mail or a letter with an appointment for your walk in review.

Folks:

Update...despite the fact that I completely cancelled the FOIA once, it again popped up a few days ago as an entirely new FOIA claim altogether...which again puts me futher behind,,,,and makes no sense at all? So, I sent in another letter and also another IRIS request to cancell. I tried to call the 800 number today and it said the call volume was too high and to try and call back at a later time.....very frustrating..