VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-File Request/privacy Act Requet Reopened On Ebenefits

Rate this question

MarkInTexas

Question

Here's a new one to me. The VA reopened my old open records/privacy act request for my C-File that had been completed back in July, 2014. I had filed the request back in February, 2013, waited nearly a year and a half for the documents, and ended up doing a Presidential inquiry in late May, 2014, and amazingly the C-File arrived in early July.

I'm not sure why the VA would have reopened it this month, unless it has something to do with the 80-something pages of other veterans' medical records that were inside it. However, I had let the VA know that back in July as well via IRIS, but I didn't ask for a "purged" copy.

I haven't made any new requests, so it's kind of strange. Anybody have this happen? Or what it could mean?

Mark

Edited by MarkInTexas

Its the new "shreddergate". Instead of your key evidence winding up in the shredder bin, they simply drop it in another claimants file, where it will be lost for a very long time if not forever.

Im thinking you need to write ask bob to fix this one. Its crazy to make the veteran wait four years or more for an appeal when its the va fault for shuffling yours and another vets file.

Yeah, I had hoped to get my C-File before filing my NOD, but of course the year was running out, so I had to file with what I had. Then a few months later my C-File finally arrived, I noted that although they had a ton of other veterans' medical records in the file, they had literally nothing from my own miltary medical records.....not even my entrance or separation examinations.

I ended up shooting a request to the NPRC once again hoping to find something, and surely enough, they sent me several pages of some of my missing records.....even though they had advised that they didn't have them in the past. Although I'm glad I FINALLY received some of these important records from the NPRC, I'm a little fed up that the VA has been working my claim since 2010 with a flawed pile of documents that didn't even contain basic entrance and separation medical examination documentation that should be in every veteran's file.

On the NPRC, I've kind of become a believer of sending multiple requests a few months apart for the same documents. I've found that they seem to find something new with each request.

Just took a look at eBenefits at the Privacy Act request......it's now showing "Status Has Changed" and "Development Letter Sent".......and is now in the Gathering Evidence stage......

So.....they've reopened a request I made back in Feb, 2013 for a C-File request which they finally fulfilled and closed out in July, 2014, and now are in the gathering evidence stage like in a new claim......wow......this is Twilight Zone stuff.

I did not realize how important it can be to review your C-file until yesterday. My VSO called to tell me of my approval for my current claim and while on the phone he was reading my file and noticed that I had been denied in 2007 on the same claim. He discovered the VARO had made that decision for denial without all of the logs. They only had reviewed part of them. When I had re-filed in 2012 I had submitted all of the logs as I had only then found where to get them.

I had assumed the VA in 2007 had reviewed all of the logs and accepted their denial. The VSO is asking them to cue themselves on this evidence and retro back to 2007.

I would advise anyone to not assume anything about your c-file. Get a copy and go over it.