VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va And Pain Meds....do They Give Them?

Rate this topic

Dave has been getting his pain meds (hydrocodone) from a private doctor, but now they are making it hard to get. Have to have a prescription hand written every month and drug testing. I was wondering if the VA has gotten any better with giving pain meds. This has really gotten to Dave and he has been really depressed since his visit last week. The doctor said these changes are do to Government Regulations. Chronic Pain and depression make it so hard on him, and it falls back on my being depressed too.

We live in Groves, TX....the closest small VA clinic is in Beaumont, and Houston is about 100 miles from us. Anyone dealing with these centers that can help or just any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, and I knew if I had a problem....Hadit was the place to ask for help!

Gwen

• HadIt.com Elder

I get pain meds from the VA. It is getting harder I think. Are Dave's pain meds for service connected conditions? The VA quotes a basic rule they have where they must recognize and treat your pain. This means Dave must insist that his pain is measured every time he goes to the VA. On a scale of one to ten he should be at least at 7 or 8 every time he goes. If Dave does get on opiate plan at the VA he will have periodic pain med checks. The VA is trying to get all of us chronic pain victims off the opiates. I have been on them way over 5 years and closer to ten years. If you get on the plan never get off it. Don't let them talk you into some in-patient pain clinic where you get off opiates and then have to get back on them. Once the VA has you off them you may never be able to get them again is my opinion. The VA got me on the narcotic pain meds. Now after years they say "I" have a drug problem. I say the VA has a drug problem as in being the largest dope pusher in the nation. They want to blame the victims of their malpractice. Really, the opiates that would do me the most good are the ones the VA will not prescribe for me like oxycontin which is long lasting oxycodone. This is what I need and what I get are crummy patches and bottles of short term oxycodone. My moods swing all over the place because of this but I get some relief.

John

I get pain meds from the VA. It is getting harder I think. Are Dave's pain meds for service connected conditions? The VA quotes a basic rule they have where they must recognize and treat your pain. This means Dave must insist that his pain is measured every time he goes to the VA. On a scale of one to ten he should be at least at 7 or 8 every time he goes. If Dave does get on opiate plan at the VA he will have periodic pain med checks. The VA is trying to get all of us chronic pain victims off the opiates. I have been on them way over 5 years and closer to ten years. If you get on the plan never get off it. Don't let them talk you into some in-patient pain clinic where you get off opiates and then have to get back on them. Once the VA has you off them you may never be able to get them again is my opinion. The VA got me on the narcotic pain meds. Now after years they say "I" have a drug problem. I say the VA has a drug problem as in being the largest dope pusher in the nation. They want to blame the victims of their malpractice. Really, the opiates that would do me the most good are the ones the VA will not prescribe for me like oxycontin which is long lasting oxycodone. This is what I need and what I get are crummy patches and bottles of short term oxycodone. My moods swing all over the place because of this but I get some relief.

John

Thanks so much for your advice, John. Dave is thinking about going back to the VA for help, but he has been getting his meds from his private doctor. He has been on the Hydrocodone for years and takes the max amount. (He was taking the Oxycontin for awhile, but the doctors stopped giving it because of so many problems the government placed on the regulations.) That was hard to switch back to the hydrocodone for him, but now he is so upset. I think him being upset, just makes the pain all that much worse.

I agree with you....they give you this medication for years and then say "YOU" have a problem. It is so sad.

You know, Christmas is hard on people with depression, but this has taken it to another level....just hard to enjoy anything.

I wish you the best of luck and keep fighting for what you know is right!

Hugs,

Gwen

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, I don't react well to Christmas. So many bad things happened to me at this time of year and it reminds me of what I never had according to happy family rule of the holidays. We are given this Hollywood version of family life, and when things don't fit that groove we wonder what went wrong. Of course, it is not us but unrealistic projection of "happy family" and Norman Rockwell version of family life in America. I think if Dave can get on opiate contract with the VA he can stay on it if he just obeys the rules to the letter. In Florida these pain doctors assume everyone who is not dying from cancer is a dope fiend. DEA is behind all this grief. Dope fiends will get there drugs, but disabled chronic pain people will suffer and the price of dope will go up. I do hear that now heroin is making another comeback.

John

Yes, I don't react well to Christmas. So many bad things happened to me at this time of year and it reminds me of what I never had according to happy family rule of the holidays. We are given this Hollywood version of family life, and when things don't fit that groove we wonder what went wrong. Of course, it is not us but unrealistic projection of "happy family" and Norman Rockwell version of family life in America. I think if Dave can get on opiate contract with the VA he can stay on it if he just obeys the rules to the letter. In Florida these pain doctors assume everyone who is not dying from cancer is a dope fiend. DEA is behind all this grief. Dope fiends will get there drugs, but disabled chronic pain people will suffer and the price of dope will go up. I do hear that now heroin is making another comeback.

John

I hope he will give the VA another try. They helped him when he had that bad breakdown in 1996...but since then, he just can't hardly make himself go in the building in Houston.

Dave hasn't really participated in a family Christmas (or any family function) in years. I'm sure the reasons you gave apply to him, too! I think Christmas seems more magical when children are around. Our son is 31 and living in MI. So we don't see him for holidays anymore.

I forgot to answer one of your questions...Dave's disablitiy has to do with his mental problem. They don't call it PTSD for the VA, but that is what it is. (I can't remember the tech term they called it.) So I don't think that would be his chronic pain, but since he is 100%, I'd think they would have to cover all his medical problems.

Thanks again for your help....I'll be sure to read it all to Dave. (He still doesn't use the computer. :wacko: )

Gwen

Edited by GwenW