VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Had To Seek A Second Opinion, Now What?

Rate this question

marina53

Question

Recently my husband sought care at a VA hospital and received substandard care, in my opinion. To make a LONG story short, he had a tumor and was told that it was "nothing". After several months of going back and forth with the VA, (he never actually saw a physician, but a PA), he finally sought an outside opinion from a civilian doctor. The civilian doctor was alarmed at his care and scheduled him for surgery. I am an RN and did some very basic internet research, which indeed showed that my husband did not receive the care he should have. Now we are facing thousands of dollars in medical expenses just because the VA hospital did not follow the accepted standard of care for his condition. Can someone tell me if there is a way to submit what we paid for outside care to the VA and be compensated for our expenses? I am not seeking malpractice, but just getting the money back that we paid for care the VA hospital should have provided to begin with.

I wrote a long post, but now I am wondering if I actually posted it, so forgive me if I am repeating myself. Thank God the tumor was not cancerous, however, this particular kind of mass is associated with cancer and should have been thoroughly investigated, as my husband had all the risk factors. The PA had no idea how to pursue this, in fact , never even mentioned the mass in the last reports! When we saw the civilian doctor, he was alarmed enough to immediately schedule my husband for surgery, took him to the OR and did multiple biopsies. We are not looking for a malpractice suit because no harm was done (except psychological and financial) but due to the negligence of this PA, we are out thousands and thousands of dollars and would like to get that back, since all of this could have been accomplished at the VA hospital, but they just blew it off completely.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use