VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Opiates Cut Off After 7 Years?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

My experience with VA healthcare gets worse every time I drive the miserable miles to get to the VA complex of clinics in N. Tampa. I spent 45 minutes trying to find the "Slip and Falls" clinic that is separate from the rest of the VA hospital by about 5 miles, unmarked, no sign to indicate a VA facility etc. Now many of the different clinics are all over the place and you must drive miles to go from one to the other. I got pathetic exam and was sent on my way. I don't trust pain clinics in Florida since they are mostly in fear of DEA and all want to do shots in spine for pain. I also don't see any use for VA except for pills and just to show them that I am still disabled. I have about 6 years to go before I get my 20 years at P&T. About the only benefit I get from the VA is a check, ChampVA for the spouse and pills. The VA says they want to own my health care. I think they just want to rent it until I am dead. I cannot stand having to drive to the VA just to do a urine sample and blood work. Of course, this is how I documented DMII, and CAD which is how I got "S". Now my new doctor has dropped the ball twice on my pain meds. At least I am still getting them as of today. I have to see Ambulatory Pain Clinic in January. I told them I did not want to go. My doctor insisted with implied threat of my being cut off if I did not go to see the people who intend to cut me off.

Pete,

Have you insisted on a referral to Pain Clinic? This is how got Opiate Pain Clinic contract etc. I have followed my part of contract, but I think they are about to renig on their part in a month. I fill out a pain questionnaire every month and my doctor still screws it up and I get my meds 8 days late.

John

John

I have been on pain meds for the past 13 to 14 years with the VA, well longer than that but with the past years it has been with Methadone..the VA pain clinic in Albuquerque N.M. put me on them and it has controlled the pain to a tolerable level and it doesn't get you in that euphoric feeling. I haven't had a problem all these years then last year I receive a letter from my Doctor and the VA Hosp Dir at the VA Hosp in Fayetteville, Ark stating because of Vets overdosing and such and the effects of long term drug use the DEA has decided to reduce or stop pain medications of the Veterans VA wide. I have gone through the gamut with my Dr. and the Director, even contacted the Director of the VA Administration in Washington. I'll get a call from someone at the VA wanting to know what it is I want them to do. I tell them, I receive Aid and Attendance at the "M" rate and am eligible for the R-1 or R-2 because I am unable to walk or use my hands to any degree. I have to use Dragon to even type on the computer. I need help in everything I do, from bathroom to eating and it gets worse. They tried to get me to go to Florida to some in patient treatment to take a veteran down off his meds and try new procedures like acupuncture, chiropractic, swimming and a host of other things that I cannot possible do. I ask them how do I get there, they will provide the transportation and when I tell them who will wipe my butt down there, or feed me, who will push me around in a wheelchair or get me in and out of bed everyday. I tell them this is for people who can ambulate, not someone like me. They then wanted me to go to Little Rock Ark for a Steroid injection in my back..screw that, I already have enough problems without some drunk Doctor or anesthesiologist sticking a needle in my back, for what a week of reduced pain even if it works, BS. I ask them when you people call why don't you pull up my medical records and see what my problems are before you start suggesting things that you know I am going to deny. They offer me these things and it looks like I am denying myself treatment which is not the case. They then ask me why I don't have home health care from the VA..I said well if you knew your regulations and look at my record you will see I have requested that on several occasions only to be denied because I am on pain meds and they cannot send anyone to my house if I am on pain meds, go figure. When they grant me a higher level of AA hopefully, I will be able to afford someone coming in to help me, the last person I had she quit suddenly and then I found all my pain meds gone, go figure. I had to hire someone who was more of a nurse aid than anything else but my Dr. did re-write my pain meds after I filed a police report. Last time I went to visit my Dr. I got my brother to take me, most times they make appointments and I end up breaking them b/c I don't have anyone to take me, no one wants to mess with someone like me who pees on himself b/c he doesn't even know he is peeing. My brother came into the Dr.'s office with me and we went through the typical BS can you feel this, can you stand can you bend over..I just set there and look at him like he is nuts. This is the first time he ask me questions like do I want to try this or that and I tell him no b/c again Dr. I don't have the ability to get to these places, my brother is CEO of a large business and he just cannot take off and tend to me nor do I want him to but everytime this Dr. ask me a question and I would answer in the negative he would turn to my brother and say "You heard me ask him and he said no" this went on for the whole session until I ask him what are you so paranoid about Dr. you think my brother is in here as a possible witness, so just hurry up and let me get out of here..I am 64 and when I turn 65 I will get on Medicare and visit an outside Dr. as I am sick and tired of the VA.

I did call a Methadone clinic and was told they could provide methadone for treatment of pain so I contacted my Dr. and he submitted to have the VA pay for it but that damn Director down there denied me saying methadone is not meant for pain, is this guy for real?? The friggin Germans invented this drug b/c they didn't have enough morphine during WWII. I am ready to hang up my spurs seriously, I am tired of being in pain and not having any kind of life. I am tired of living in my filth and having to depend on others. I can't even fire a pistol anymore as it takes too much strength that I don't have even to pull the trigger so I don't even have any home protection. They keep sending me Testosterone and a needle every month but I cannot manipulate the bottle or syringe, I need help but will the VA help, hell no, they want to come in and they will do it. BS is all I can say. Yes the VA under big O has taken a turn for the worst and I personally don't see it getting better. My Dr. will not even answer my Secure messages anymore, use to I could send a message straight to him but they have since removed him from the send to box. I have not once ever been inconsiderate to my Dr. b/c I know it is not him, it is the VA System and he is just a small time Dr. working in the VA system. I turn 65 in a couple of months, can someone tell me how can I enlist for medicare and keep my medication with the VA, am I screwing up if I take Medicare or do I have to take Medicare?? Who do you go with if I do take it??

I hope evefryone gets what they want or need as I am just ranting a little and telling my story. You guys take care and make sure you clear right!!

• HadIt.com Elder

BigMuny

I can feel where you are at. I have an appointment with the pain clinic and I think my dear PCP is going to tell them she wants me off the opiates after 7 years. I will just go to private doctor and get dope I need, but it all pisses me off since the VA has no alternative. The VA got me dependent on the opiates and now they are going to cut me off. They are useless bastards.

John

It's not the VA that is making these changes, it is new laws. I've been on pain meds for many, many years and up until recently could go to doctor every 3 months for 3 refills. Now you have to go every month and can only get one refill. Wonder why it's hard to get an appointment? If everyone who is on pain meds has to go to the doctor every month there is "no room at the inn"!

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, VA is concerned with CYA. Vets have been OD'ing on drugs so the thing to do is to cut off every vet who has chronic pain and let them suffer. For me to have to go out to the VA four times a year for Urine Test is a problem for me. I know the VA is scared of DEA. The VA did check me out with Florida and DEA about getting opiates out of state. I got script for Tamazepam for sleep from my private shrink and they mentioned that in their report. I will make it regardless of what these lame brains do.

John

• 3 weeks later...

My Morphine script does not show up on myhealthy vet for refills either. I have to call the pharmacist approx 5-7 days before and they send the request to my pcp.

So far he just refills it and i get it in the mail . Ive got a great PCP , he thinks alot of the VA script rules are ridiculous.

SGT SANDMAN

PS: Goodluck with your situation , i know i couldn't go without mine .