VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied Vocrehab

Rate this question

Ordie17

Question

In 2012 I applied for VocRehab but was denied because I have so much debt that I still need to work full time and the counselor said I could not do both, would I be able to reapply when my debt is paid down more?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you're able to work full time then you're not eligible for Voc Rehab.

Not true, and you should not stand for this. VOC Rehab is there to help Vets further their employment opportunities through education. Any Vet with a 20% or more rating is eligible to apply.

Not true, and you should not stand for this. VOC Rehab is there to help Vets further their employment opportunities through education. Any Vet with a 20% or more rating is eligible to apply.

That's how it was explained to me by a Voc Rehab counselor. Please feel free to post the requirements for eligibility.

Ordie: I've had (3) Voc Rehab Councilors reg (3) Claims. Two were great and helped me with what ever I needed, the 3rd is a real trick and very difficult to work with regarding the ILP program. 1st two were back in 12 & 13 regarding Voc Rehab which wasn't successful due to SC conditions. Didn't get the "much needed Denial letter" due to my own lack of knowledge. Had too sgn up a 2nd time for (3) weeks to have another councilor review my 2012 unsuccessful attempt at Voc Rehab and Write "The Denial Letter" that I subsequently used as "New & Material Evidence" at my 2014 DRO Hearing. Helped get a reversal of 2012 IU Denial.

Filed with Voc Reb for ILP same day as awarded IU. My current Voc Rehab Councilor is less helpful than expected. I've put (2) Vet friends into the ILP with good success and kind of know what the ILP program can do. My current councilor makes it like pulling teeth to get info reg benefits.

The fact that your working doesn't preclude you from Voc Rehab. You may need to change due to SC health issues. You can get retrained in a completely different field. The VA wants you to stay "Gainfully Employed" so that you don't need IU. Reapply, thats what I did when I needed the "Denial Letter." You'll get a NEW councilor. If they start to give you the run around, ask to see the VA regulation that supports their contention that your not eligible due to being employed. You can work full time and do online rehab if something tickles your fancy.

Semper Fi

Gastone