VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sah Grants And Other Housing Grants?

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

What exactly does it take to get a grant to get a special adaptation to your house? I was sort of led to believe at the VA that I might quality, but after today's trip to "Slip and Falls" clinic at the VA I have deep doubts. They tested in a half-ass sort of way my gait and balance. The PT person handed me some screw-in grips for the shower and told me I should exercise in a pool. Then, of course , they suggested I do in-patient pain program, and drive out to the VA three days a week to walk in their pool. That would take an entire morning or afternoon due to traffic just getting to my VA. I have PN in my feet and this does affect my gait and balance, but I don't have complete loss of use on any limbs. I am not blind. I am not in a wheelchair. Did I waste my time completely? My experience in the past with Voc. Rehab, Quality of Life Program and now this SAH thing make me believe this is just not worth the effort.

John

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

What I get SMC "S" for is DMII, PN and CAD. The trouble I have worst is my feet. My feet get sort of like blocks of painful wood and I can loose balance and topple over which has happened. I did get handles put in to the bath by the VA. I was surprised by that. I did put in for SAH just due to my difficulty with balance and due to the fact my house has lots of step-ups where I did loose balance recently and banged my head against the wall. I take opiates and benzo's which are prescribed by VA which affect my balance as well. I got TDIU for MH and "S" for Agent Orange diseases. I don't have complete lose of use of any particular foot or hand. I have partial loss of use. I am having balance problems and trying to avoid a fall where I break my hip or something. I am not getting any younger and looking ahead I see me falling and busting my ass. You would think the VA would try to see future risk and help a vet avoid drastic accident that lands him in a nursing home or something worse. I am not in a wheelchair yet and am trying to avoid that fate as well. I asked for PT and the VA turned me down. It seems they could work with me to help me get special therapy to make me stronger without me hurting myself like last time. It is like you got to be in a wheelchair or missing a limb before they want to help. I know they don't even help those guys much considering Commander Bob and his dealing with the VA. They will give me pool therapy but I have to drive 20 miles through horrible traffic to get my 30 minutes of swim time. This is just not worth it to me. No YMCA indoor pool around here. That costs 80 bucks a month anyway and is good place to get staff or something else. Some people need PT on an ongoing basis just to keep them from getting worse, but the VA says just for acute injuries. They are really just cheap bastards who don't have enough staff to help those needing it.

John

John

John: a couple Nam Vets I know went to Voc Rehab last year for the Independent Living Program after I told them about some of the benefits I had read about. Took a little work and time on their part, but bot got the $6,???.00 bathroom grant. 1 guy has been 100% for 20 yrs and in a wheel chair. Had never heard about the IL program. Besides the Bathroom UP grades, he's received 300lb+ Recliner Lift chair with Heat & Massage, New Air Bed for he and his Wife. Also got a complete Home Computer and all-in-one printer.

The Voc Rehab sent a VA Social Worker out to their house and she made recommendations regarding what was necessary to assist the Vet better their quality of life. Good program but difficult to find out exactly what benefits and grants are available. VA Voc Rehab councilors seem very tight lipped when discussing the benefits available with the ILP.

Semper Fi

Gastone

john999,I applied for it and my primary care says yes it would help me, I was asking for a stair lift

then I had to go to OT and they also agreed I needed it but prosthetics that's who makes the decision

on it says no so I am stuck waiting a year to reapply.

John999 - What are you rated for? That may impact the decision made.

As an example, a veteran diagnosed with ALS is automatically granted the housing grant of $68,000.

Here's the VA's "fact sheet" on SAH which may be of some help. http://benefits.va.gov/benefits/factsheets/homeloans/sahfactsheet.pdf

• HadIt.com Elder

Remodeled bathroom, from sunken tub to walkin shower with bench and installed two higher toilets and painted both bathrooms. The allowance paid 100%. The contractor was happy and I was too'

Don't fight trying to find your own contractor work from their list but check references and look at pictures of their work.

What I get SMC "S" for is DMII, PN and CAD. The trouble I have worst is my feet. My feet get sort of like blocks of painful wood and I can loose balance and topple over which has happened. I did get handles put in to the bath by the VA. I was surprised by that. I did put in for SAH just due to my difficulty with balance and due to the fact my house has lots of step-ups where I did loose balance recently and banged my head against the wall. I take opiates and benzo's which are prescribed by VA which affect my balance as well. I got TDIU for MH and "S" for Agent Orange diseases. I don't have complete lose of use of any particular foot or hand. I have partial loss of use. I am having balance problems and trying to avoid a fall where I break my hip or something. I am not getting any younger and looking ahead I see me falling and busting my ass. You would think the VA would try to see future risk and help a vet avoid drastic accident that lands him in a nursing home or something worse. I am not in a wheelchair yet and am trying to avoid that fate as well. I asked for PT and the VA turned me down. It seems they could work with me to help me get special therapy to make me stronger without me hurting myself like last time. It is like you got to be in a wheelchair or missing a limb before they want to help. I know they don't even help those guys much considering Commander Bob and his dealing with the VA. They will give me pool therapy but I have to drive 20 miles through horrible traffic to get my 30 minutes of swim time. This is just not worth it to me. No YMCA indoor pool around here. That costs 80 bucks a month anyway and is good place to get staff or something else. Some people need PT on an ongoing basis just to keep them from getting worse, but the VA says just for acute injuries. They are really just cheap bastards who don't have enough staff to help those needing it.

John

John

john pool therapy is not that bad it may even help with some of your pain

they had me do both pool and in gym which is a 6 month program and I had to drive

about 80 miles round trip 3 x a week I began to like it. I was making $120.00

per week in travel pay that's not bad for exercising.