VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Survey Of Timelines

Rate this question

VRhodes

Question

VR: Timelines are almost impossible to compare due to the advent of the FDC "Fully Developed Claim." Vet's using the old "RAC" (RegAxxClaim) were usually looking at any Where from 12-18 mos just to get their Denial/Award letter. For the most part, the Vets were not knowledgeable regarding VA Claims procedures and the Evidence necessary to get their awards. Most Nam Vets i associate with, really didn't start getting into the nuts & bolts of the VA system until they were denied. I know I didn't and probably added 2 yrs to the final Award @ 06/14 DRO Hearing. 06/08 thru 04/14 8 issues. IU awarded 06/14.

Hopefully younger Vets will be more engaged with their claims right from jump. Some of the posts I see don't necessarily indicate they are. Still seems like a large number of Vets file the initial claim with the help of a "Good Intentioned VSO Rep" and then go on about their life thinking no more needs to be done. Big Mistake.

I recently got an FDC award for (1) secondary issue in just over (5) mos.

Semper Fi

Gastone

My husband's claim started in October 2010 when he filed for Temporary 100% for recovery from surgery. He was denied and we've been filing and getting denied over and over ever since. It went to BVA on appeal and sat there for a year when finally in October of this year I put my foot down and contacted Sec. McDonald without discussing with husband. Got the news Thursday that we won the appeal. There are way too many entries to list them all.

Hey, I started my claim on 6/19/13 with around 7 contentions. My claim is still in gathering of evidence (DUST) phase. No telling how long this is going to take!!! Hope this is'nt your case!!

Dinnard, good for You and even better for your husband. Navywife: Your probably right about different VARO's having a lot to do with speed of your claim. I choose to believe these faster VAROs are less busy than some of the Metropolitan VAROs. With that said, I think the VA brokers out claims from the overwelmed VARO to some of the VARO' that are, shall we say less busy. The problem with that, as I understand it, the brokered out Claims have to be addressed by the New VARO before they can get back to their own Vet's claims.

There is the "Quality of Medical Evidence" factor that I think plays the largest reason for delays. Most Vets, myself included, thought our Evidence was sound and should make it apparent to the VA rater that we should receive SC right from jump. Most of us, I trust, have learned the error of our ways. Certainly our lack of knowledge regarding VA Comp Rules and Regs, didn't help on our initial claims. Hopefully we live and learn from our and others mistakes in everything we do, including our VA Comp Claims.

Merry Christmas, may You All be Awarded IU!

Semper Fi

Gastone