VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ouestion: Emg And Ncs

Rate this question

MrPain7

Question

EMG/NCS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently had an EMG/NCS performed I rceived the results but I am a little lost with understanding what the results mean.

ECS Impression: Abnormal nerve conduction study. This study suggest the patient has a asymmetrical motor > sensory neuropathy versus a polyradiculopathy with a superimposed sensory neuropathy.

EMG impression: Slightly abnormal electromyography.

Evidence of chronic denervation (large amplitudes or polyphasic units) was seen in the tibialis anterior and vastus lateralis, possibly related to a longstanding Ly radiculopathy.

no evidence of acute or ongoing denervation was seen...

Thank You for your assistant.

Benj............. :(

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

The report says that an arm muscle is has a problerm with the motor nerve. Radicilpathy at L4 or L5 or S1 nerve root. It is good diagnosis of a Radiculpathy.

EMG/NCS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently had an EMG/NCS performed I rceived the results but I am a little lost with understanding what the results mean.

ECS Impression: Abnormal nerve conduction study. This study suggest the patient has a asymmetrical motor > sensory neuropathy

This basically means you have sensory loss in the back of your thighs, lower back legs, and last 3 toes of feet....and is show in the study...i.e. the VA cannot deny that you have sensory of loss of feeling in you legs

versus a polyradiculopathy with a superimposed sensory neuropathy.

EMG impression: Slightly abnormal electromyography.

Evidence of chronic denervation (large amplitudes or polyphasic units) was seen in the tibialis anterior

OK you will also see this referred to as the anterior peroneal, peroneal nerve....the anterior tibialis nerve controls the dorsiflexion and plantar flexion of your foot, along with the flexion and feeling in the last three toes of the foot.

and vastus lateralis, possibly related to a longstanding Ly radiculopathy.

no evidence of acute or ongoing denervation was seen...

Thank You for your assistant.

Benj............. :(

In essence this EMG is very good proof that there is in fact nerve damage which causes among other things, foot drop, loss of dorsiflexion/plantar flexion/ loss or reduction in deep tendon reflex's etc. It is a very good EMG in that I personally would push for loss of use of the foot, or feet....

It totally objective evidence which supports any claims of shooting pain, muscle weakness in your feet ad legs, and foot drop etc.

Go for loss of use/bilateral - also ask for an AFO (Ankle Foot Orthotic), and then claim that you would be equally well serve by a prosthetic....the ONLY rating they can come back with is loss of use (eventually anyhow)..50% for 1 foot/100% for both.

The report says that an arm muscle is has a problerm with the motor nerve. Radicilpathy at L4 or L5 or S1 nerve root. It is good diagnosis of a Radiculpathy.

OK, sorry to disagree but...

L5-S1 and the Lumbar spine in general are related to the feet and legs

Cervical Spine is related to the arms/hands

It is a good diagnosis of radiculapathy, as well as an even better one of neuropathy, but the anterior tibialis nerve is the nerve which runs along the tibia, also referred to as the anterior peroneal, or simply peroneal sometimes.

I'm sure you knew this and just got confused lord knows I do all the time.

I WOULd argue loss of use here, look it up under CFR 38.

Im sorry I meant to say foot. I guess I was not awake

I guess I should have Known that being SC for the Cervical Spine.

Goodcatch and thanks

Lateral condyle of tibia, proximal 1/2 - 2/3 or lateral surface of tibial shaft, interosseous membrane, and the deep surface of the fascia cruris

Insertion Medial and plantar surfaces of 1st cuneiform and on base of first metatarsal

Action Dorsiflexor of ankle and invertor of foot

Innervation Deep peroneal nerve (L4, L5, S1)

Arterial

Supply Anterior tibial artery

Edited by jstacy