ffd95

Possible Burn Pit Issues

23 posts in this topic

Greetings all. I've started having issues where I'm found Vitamin D deficient, and anemic. I've had several colonoscopy's, and endoscopies, but they can't seem to find out where I'm losing blood. Was just wondering if anyone else was having this issue. We hauled trash daily to the burn pits in Balad in 04-05.

Here is some Burn Pit info from VA:

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/burnpits/action-plan.asp

More here:

http://theveteransblog.org/blog/tag/burn-pits/

I have not seen any awards for SC regarding burn pit exposure.

I feel these claims would take a documented disability that an IMO doctor can directly associate to the chemicals found in burn pits fumes,with no other know etiology.

They say most Americans have Vitamin D issues and anemia might be a transcient condition.

But I am not a doctor and these symptoms alone, to me, might not be considered a disability ,for VA purposes.

Could these problems be due to or part of the 50% you get now?

1 person likes this

I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease after I returned from OIF and OEF. I have the same issues with Vitamin D and Anemia, and I have severe Asthma due to scar tissue on my lungs from the Burn pits. I can not say that the burn pits was the cause, but again a lot of us that returned from OIF/OEF have similar issues. Sorry to hear of your health and God Bless.

I hate to say it I feel it will be a long time before the VA admits to the burn pits caused medical issues for a lot of people. I was exposed to the burn pit at BALAD Air Base for a year and luckily no lung issues. That darn pit would spew so much smoke and ash I remember it was like a constant fog bank on some parts of the base and it would rain down ash over everything at times. Most I see them maybe connecting lung cancer but for some of us that got Kidney cancer etc after breathing in that toxic stuff for a year will never get justice. I like how the Army shot down the USAF Bioenvironmental Engineer Flight Commander internal memo quoting the Army's own survey data quoting:

"During the Environmental Health Site Assessments conducted January- April 2006 by the US Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine
(USACHPPM), open burning of solid waste was identified as the number two most common environmental health finding. Balad's bum pit was quoted as being ''the worst environmental site I have personally visited, and that includes 10 years working RCRA/CERCLA clean-up for the Army and DLA", by one of the assessment team members. ".

I know when I was there in 2006-2007 the USAF Flight Doc made sure it was in our SMR exposure paperwork we will filled out when we re-deployed back to the states.

Edited by manning01

You know I came down with a vitamin d deficiency as well recently. 2013 to be exact. I had to be on 50k mega doses for vitamin d for a couple of months. And I've been on vitamin d since then. VA provides the supplement as cholecalciferol.

What benefit is there to completing the burn pit registry? Will that help linking your exposure to the area's with the current burn pits? I know a few vet's that are claiming upper resptory issues due to burn pit exposure - I will follow up with them and see what their results where.

Popular Forums Common VA Disabilities