VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Scheduled

Rate this question

Cammy

Question

First let me say that I have spent many hours lurking here and have learned a great deal from you all. I want to thank all of you for your time and dedication to your fellow veteran.

I retired from the Air Force in June of 2005 and was awarded a combined rating of 90%. 50% of that rating is for chronic migraine headaches. In September of 2006 I asked the VA to reopen my claim for the headaches due to the frequency and severity of the headaches increasing. I have a C&P scheduled for 1 November.

Here is my question.

Knowing that the VA can award an extra-schedular rating what are the chances that this may happen? I know that this type of rating is applied in the rare case but how rare does it have to be? In that rare case where they award an extra-schedular rating how much higher do they go (or are they inclined to go)?

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Cammy,

Most service connected vets and/or people with disabilities spend NO days without medications and their side effects.

Are you having to pay for any of these drugs ? My understanding is that if you are S/C'd at 50 % or more you pay nothing for meds.

Someone please correct me here if this is not accurate.

JMHO,

carlie

I don't pay for VA meds and I have a $9.00 co-pay for Tri-care meds.

Carlie you say "Most service connected vets and/or people with disabilities spend NO days without medications and their side effects." UMMM HELLO? I get at best 18 doses of Zomig in 30 days. worst case scenario 2 headaches a day X 30 days = 60 doses required. Best case scenario 1 headache a day X 30 days = 30 doses required. Ok just for the for the off chance that the three week Tricare script got filled early it's 18 doses a month. If not we are talking only 12 doses in a 30 day period.

Side effects of my meds are no headaches. I'll take that.

• HadIt.com Elder

Cammy

I would read up on all my disabilities and their ratings. Usually, the VA will rate you as low as they can on all your disabilities so there is probably room for increases. Do you see a pyschiatrist for anything like depression. Go to your VAMC and complain about all your symptoms. Everytime you do this it goes into the record. Documentation is how you get higher ratings. Just start pulling the thread on every medical problem you have and it can lead to higher and even new ratings. Often times one medical problem can cause or aggravate other problems. I was rated for DMII due to agent orange. I had foot problemes and this was service connected to my DMII. Now I have PAD and I am going to get this connected to my DMII.

If I have PAD then I may have other cardiovascular problems. All this goes back to getting a rating for DMII even though it is just a ten percent rating.

I also get the 6 doses a month of Zomig. I get the 2.5mg. There is a way around this that will help if your neuro will do it. My VA neuro sent me six 5mg tabs after my last appointment. I still get the usuall six 2.5 monthly.

So if your taking the 2.5mg ask for the 5mg to cut in half for twelve doses per month. The cost on meds is per pill no matter if it's 2.5 or 5. Double the meds at same cost to VA.

I think you'd have better luck with IU or an increase on the depression rating than getting more than 50% for migrains. As a daily sufferer I don't think migrains should be capped at 50% but they are. I spend 50% of my time literally hoping I'll die, the other 50% I spend hoping the meds will give me a few hours to get out and live. Mine are post traumatic (head injury).

Time

I also get the 6 doses a month of Zomig. I get the 2.5mg. There is a way around this that will help if your neuro will do it. My VA neuro sent me six 5mg tabs after my last appointment. I still get the usuall six 2.5 monthly.

So if your taking the 2.5mg ask for the 5mg to cut in half for twelve doses per month. The cost on meds is per pill no matter if it's 2.5 or 5. Double the meds at same cost to VA.

I think you'd have better luck with IU or an increase on the depression rating than getting more than 50% for migrains. As a daily sufferer I don't think migrains should be capped at 50% but they are. I spend 50% of my time literally hoping I'll die, the other 50% I spend hoping the meds will give me a few hours to get out and live. Mine are post traumatic (head injury).

Time

Time, Sounds like you have the system working for you. Unfortunatly for me I take 5mg of Zomig in a nasal inhaler. Most times it knocks the headaches down in a matter of 15 to 20 minutes. However there are those times that it just takes the edge off for a few hours. I understand the want to die comment, been there begged for that a few nights.

There was acctually a group that petitioned Congress to enact a bill that would provide for a 100% rating for migraines. Of course that was back in the '90's and nothing ever came of it. But hey they VA change 38 CFR to make it harder for Vets to get compensated for back injuries so they do change things.

I'm at 100% but have no migrain rating. The headaches are supposed to be considered with the headinjury claim. I have a re-eval C&P this week and if I'm not given P&T this time around I will file a claim for the migraines. Maybe I should anyway. Just fought too hard for too long and haven't wanted to jump back into it yet.

If I take Promethazine (phenagren [sp]) with the Zomig it helps more. That's what they do for me if I have to go to the ER. Morphine and phenagran. I don't take Topamax anymore cause I'm allready loopy and don't need to make worse. Now I'm taking Verapamil and am undecided if it helps at all.

Time