VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu...advice Needed

Rate this question

unca2666

Question

I have read allot of information already...just looking for a path......

The facts:

1. 80% disabled/ dominant hand and migraines

2. As of December 1, I am unable to work....my hand which is rated at 50% prevents me from working.(I can no longer operate a mouse or type for long durations....etc.) All those years in a cubicle have taken its toll....guess I am not 20 years old anymore

3. Been in the VA regarding my service connected disability, my range of motion is minimal at best, hand surgeon

said no surgery can fix this.

4. I have LOST IT.....I have been gainfully employed for 13 years....now I can no longer do my office functions.....Docs in VA tell me I am clinically depressed due to this ( and I agree)

So I have:

1. VFW is helping me with IU and a rating increase due to the above (depression due to my service connected disability)

2. Applied for voc rehab....this a bad thing?...have heard conflicting info.

So I am at the starting point, just looking for advice!!! Thank you all kindly!!!!

...as an aside, my rating decision from the VA states " severe economic inadaptability" for my 50% rating for migraines.

5 answers to this question

I've taken the Service Officer route too. The downside is you don't know. How good your service officer is at assisting with your claim. However, I'd stick with the service officer. I've applied and failed twice with voc rehab. I've found that the voc counselor. Can make opinions on your inability to work. Which could help your claim for IU? If you truly would like to work. The voc rehab is a good option. If you're not currently employed. I'd talk with the local Social Security Administration about SSDI. You've paid into social security. Therefore, you maybe entitled to Social Security Disability Insurance. Just remember that SSDI is a decision rendered by the SSA, and not VA. They both have their own standards for rating a person disabled. Many people choose to do all of this work themselves. If that is the route you take? Use this website for answers and/or advice. There are plenty of knowledgeable folks here ready to help.

JMO, Help yourself by staying informed and involved with your claim. The whole thing could go to s***! Because you depended to heavily on others to do the work. Good Luck!

• HadIt.com Elder

First, I'd get rid of the VFW SO. You need to send the VA a letter requesting an extra-scheduler rating for TDIU, in addition to the rating for depression. Don't count on your VFW SO doing it or doing it properly. Having an SO delayed my claim by 5yrs. jmo

Also, as mentioned previously, you should apply for SSDI.

pr

I will try to ask this question without confusion.i worked for the post office for 30yrs.i was injured in 06 with fractured skull-concussion-tinnitus from the hit on the head-memory loss-hit did something to my retinas.po fired me because I was unable to do my job and placed me on permanent owcp.i now have 70% dc. for frostbite and already had my c+p exam for 5 more conditions associated with frostbite I may get to 100% on the service conditions. but I put in for tdiu also would the ro say hes unable to work for the po so tdiu is moot here im 66 now not on ss no medical problems at all I don't even have high blood pressure. the only injury is the progression of frostbite.its really a bad injury to have especially in the cold in nh. the only notes on my exam that might mean anything the doc. made 2 referances upper injuries affect ability to work and lower injuries affect ability to work.----thanks joe usa-69-71

• HadIt.com Elder

TDIU is hard to get but not impossible, if a veteran can't work due to his/her disability then yes ask for it. but I would try to get rated at the 100% P&T first! (if your disabilitys warrant )...However if your awarded TDIU you are paid at the 100% level &can have a combined rating less that 100%...and yes apply for SSDI

jmo

................Buck!