VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Discharge Review

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am asking the Discharge Review board to grant that I was discharged because of medical reasons. I have the SMR's that show diagnosis and treatment for a emotional disorder including a hosptialization. I also have a psychiatrist's report that reviewed my SMR's and says that the military misdiagnosed me with a personality disorder and not the panic and dissocosiative disorder that started in Vietnam. The lawyer I talked to told me not to get my hopes up but that I should try and send the board something to beef up my appeal. The board has my medical records now. Any ideas on what would be good to beef up my evidence to change the nature of the reasons for discharge. I was given a discharge due to unsuitability which is bogus because I had already been in the service for 28 months. The concept that I was having a relapse back to the condition that got me in the hospital never entered the Army's mind.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

John you should get your congressman involved with this process. I think you have a good basis to get the discharge changed because the original discharge was based on wrong diagnosis. The board should change the discharge.

• HadIt.com Elder
I am asking the Discharge Review board to grant that I was discharged because of medical reasons. I have the SMR's that show diagnosis and treatment for a emotional disorder including a hosptialization. I also have a psychiatrist's report that reviewed my SMR's and says that the military misdiagnosed me with a personality disorder and not the panic and dissocosiative disorder that started in Vietnam. The lawyer I talked to told me not to get my hopes up but that I should try and send the board something to beef up my appeal. The board has my medical records now. Any ideas on what would be good to beef up my evidence to change the nature of the reasons for discharge. I was given a discharge due to unsuitability which is bogus because I had already been in the service for 28 months. The concept that I was having a relapse back to the condition that got me in the hospital never entered the Army's mind.

John, It would help my research (into the Board decisions) to know: Are you currently service-connected for Panic Disorder? PTSD? Disassociative Disorder?

As you know, mis-diagnosis was the norm for many combat traumatized vets. ~Wings

Edited by Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

Please remember, that even if you do manage to change the reason for discharge to medical, and the military awards medical disability - they would first have to apply a % rating and the back pay would be "offset" from your VA Comp.!

When I went up against the AFBCMR and AFDRB for my Character of Discharge, I weighed the financial benefits of military "disability retirement" and my current VA Disability Comp. won out on every count! The only thing it served me, was to save my good name.

Afterwards, just like Terry said, there was no external reward for the good fight.

Battling these military boards is majorly stressful on the brain. ~Wings

Edited by Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

Wings and Others

I only got 10% from VA for about 20 years. If I got pension from military might I not be ahead of the game even if their is an offset? I started with a 28$ a month compensation from the VA. I did not get 30% until the mid ninties. I don't care about my good name. I just want the money. That is why I filed CUE back to discharge. I thought I might have a chance with the board or the VA. They are all a bunch of lying jerks so the only way to get justice is to get paid. I have an honorable discharge. I am also at the board to get a combat award I did not get even though I was assigned an 11B1Y MOS for a period in RVN.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, Wings I am service connected for those conditions and more. My last rating listed five conditions including PTSD, panic and dissociative disorder. So the VA slapped a main diagnosis of schizophrenia on me.

I have been studying a case of a Lexington Ky Vet who served 2 tours in Iraq and was being sent for a third. The guy developed PTSD and boogied to Canada and was declared a deserter. He finally came back to Ft Knox and his attorneys worked out a deal with the DOA. He was discharged with a BCD ( not a Big Chicken Dinner) which is a OTH and is in process in applying for a General under honorable conditions while undergoing treatment at an undisclosed facility for PTSD.

Had that been the case for a RVN Vet they would have probally charged with desertion, Spent time in Levanworth and dishonorable Discharge.

My, how things have changed over the years.

Hang in there John and keep on chopping. Worry is a disability in itself for it eats at a person, causes Hypertension, aggrevates PTSD and can be serious. Nothing calmes the nerves like a posative decision an large retro check. Peace of mind is the best cure for anyone.

For me, as I wait by the mailbox, The Worry eats at me like a parasite. I try to do other things but the lure is too strong. I worry if I have missed anything and average being awake for 20 hours per day and spend more than 15 hous per day reviewing the files and med information. I have not been diagnossed with PTSD but it cant be too far away. Mi wife thinks I am obsessed with this stuff and I believe her.

John