VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The New Va 40 Mile Limit

Rate this question

Chuck75

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

After talking today with a VA upper echelon person, It's obvious that the VA is interpreting the 40 mile limit to the disadvantage of veterans in two ways.

1. Using an "as the crow flies" distance instead of the distance used to pay mileage to/from the same facility.

2. Using "Nautical Miles" instead of "Statute Miles". The nautical mile is longer.

So first, a shorter distance is used, then the longer nautical mile is applied.

I really doubt that congress came up with this all by itself. It looks like the VA lobbied congress to make this interpretation, since few members of congress

would even know the difference between statute and nautical miles. So much for "veteran friendly".

A common practice in current law is to shorten a "statute mile" to mile.

The very term statute implies that it's a "legal" mile in terms of law.

A nautical mile is usually specified as such in law and other documents.

Edited by Chuck75

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It seems like we are on the wrong end of a bad joke.

And regarding the "unable to get an appointment within 30 days" part for those of us within the 40 mile limit, you have to first check and see if you can get an appointment within 30 days every single time you need a doc appointment. And then if they can't see you within 30 days, it could take several business days for them to get you scheduled with an external doc. Gee, thanks a lot...

• HadIt.com Elder

Ask the VA to provide you with a helicopter to go as the crow flies.

Just another example of the Administrative colonoscopy,s the VA deals out to all veterans.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ask the VA to provide you with a helicopter to go as the crow flies.

Just another example of the Administrative colonoscopy,s the VA deals out to all veterans.

I've already got a bad back. An autorotate landing would just about solve the VA's problem, and end mine, in that my widow would likely

get the same benefits regardless of the results of current in process appeals.

(Even though I have a pilot's license)

(Can't use, (medical) due to SC'd disability)

I might be able to meet the medical requirements for a lesser "sport pilot", but the VAMC would frown highly at a light aircraft landing

on the front lawn. (It's big enough!)

• HadIt.com Elder

Its getting to where I hate asking the VA for anything..it didn't use to be that way and now I distrust the VA Healthcare but guess I can't complain its all I got.

If I have to pick up my meds at the pharmacy its a 2 to 3 hour wait and that just kills me to stand that long in line...not only me but a bunch of other veterans too!

I been getting them through the mail but some times I run out and have to go in to see the PCP.

I feel you guys that is for sure. I have to drive 160 mile round trip to 3 of the nearest VAs and over 200 miles to the other. There are months that I have as many as 15 appointments, so just do the math.

Nautical miles are intended to be used for sea travel.