VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The New Va 40 Mile Limit

Rate this question

Chuck75

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

After talking today with a VA upper echelon person, It's obvious that the VA is interpreting the 40 mile limit to the disadvantage of veterans in two ways.

1. Using an "as the crow flies" distance instead of the distance used to pay mileage to/from the same facility.

2. Using "Nautical Miles" instead of "Statute Miles". The nautical mile is longer.

So first, a shorter distance is used, then the longer nautical mile is applied.

I really doubt that congress came up with this all by itself. It looks like the VA lobbied congress to make this interpretation, since few members of congress

would even know the difference between statute and nautical miles. So much for "veteran friendly".

A common practice in current law is to shorten a "statute mile" to mile.

The very term statute implies that it's a "legal" mile in terms of law.

A nautical mile is usually specified as such in law and other documents.

Edited by Chuck75

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Aircraft also can use nautical miles over land or sea. Jet and high speed or large aircraft often use speed in nautical miles as well.

I get to see the ENT Doctor on Monday Jan. 5th 2015, been waiting for 41 days the trip is 120 miles one way...I'll be riding the DAV Van for this visit, if the Van is a no show than I'll drive it myself even though I get dizzy spells...

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA pays a certain amount for travel. Unless you are saving a good bit of that money for a new car you will find that your travel money is draining you. You are not just being paid for gas. You are being paid for depreciation on your auto. If you have to drive 40,000 miles over 10 years to go to the VA for care I hope you save all that travel pay to replace your old truck. I am, of course, inside the 40 mile limit. I do not, however, want to drive through horrible traffic 45 miles round trip to get pool therapy for 30 minutes or some counseling etc. All those things are within 5 miles of my house, but I have to pay for them. Fortunately, I can pay for them. If I could drive interstate all the way without facing horrendous traffic jam I would not mind a 45 mile round trip for "outstanding" care. I don't get "outstanding" care, and one appointment at the VA usually takes an entire morning or afternoon. The VA swore they were going to build a facility a few miles from my house. They were offered the old Ft. Homer Hesterly National Guard facility. They were outbid by a local religious group. Our US government sold a US facility to a religious group because they could offer a large chunk of money and because they had clout. We vets have no clout. None of the VSO's stood up for us. They are too busy supporting the current system because it benefits them.

• HadIt.com Elder

Let me give you a real life example of how this affects veterans. I was at the senior center in Hot Springs, Montana

having lunch today and a veteran at the table with my husband and I was complaining that no one in Hot Springs is eligible to use V.A. choice cards according to the administration at the V.A. regional office because of that 40 mile limit which is measured as the crow flies. Our driving distance to the nearest V.A. clinic in Kalispell, Montana is 31 miles East and

about thirty nine miles North for a total of about 70 miles. The roads here in Montana are oftentimes snowy and icy in

winter. DAV's van does provide transportation to some veterans for appointments at V.A. clinics.