VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bilateral Factor Calculations.

Rate this question

diver

Question

Hello all.

I have a question that I hope someone here can answer it. I am looking into the bilateral factor and I have not been able to find the anser. I have 0% for my bilateral ankles and I was reading that the bilateral goes for the legs together and the arms together and so on. If I have 3 problems with my left knee and 2 problems for my right knee all 5 are rated at 10% each and not rated as bilateral.

My question is do the 5 problems get added into the bilateral factor calculations even with my ankles being at 0% or are they separate? My ankles are under review for an increase and I have already had a C&P.

Thank you,

Diver

Everything is rated separately but it's when VA math kicks in they add them all up sounds like 50% then take 10% of that and it gets added to the scheduled ratings....you never see the "Bilateral factor" in the sheets but it may be there....someone else may jump in but that's how I see understand it..

Thank you this is a great calculator. Is there a way to see if any of my service connected are bilateral? I was originally bilateral for my knees but when the took all my disability away they took the bilateral away also. When I finally got everything back I don't believe they gave me the bilateral back. I have 3 ratings of 10% for me left knee and 2 of 10% in my right knee. Would all those all be considered bilateral if I have bilateral knee problems? I have 10% chondromalacia in both knees

Thanks

Diver

• HadIt.com Elder

Understand that a 100% single rating changes the ball game! Then, the remaining disabilities are calculated as if the 100% is not there.

Finally, you end up with a number and the separate 100%, If the number is more than 60%, or in some cases 50%, then SMC (S) must be, "considered".

The VA often failed to consider SMC, until prompted by a veteran or VSO.

To answer the bilateral question, usually the disability/problem would be the same for both knees.

It's also arguable that it might apply to the % that is in common.

Edited by Chuck75

I was able to locate my service connected disability’s and I found that besides the 0% for my ankles I have chrondromalacia at 10% in both knees and limitation of extension in both knees at 10% each. So with this being said does that mean that I have bilateral x4 at 10% or just 2 of the 10%. My rep sent me an email saying that I have bilateral in both knees x2 at 10%. If it should be x4 what can I do to get the VA to recognize them as bilateral?

Diver

• HadIt.com Elder

In short, I cannot answer your question.

I have to say that the language concerning bi-lateral is confusing to say the least.

Usually, what I've seen is that the VA takes the more conservative interpretation,

which does not usually result in the most benefit to a veteran.

Edited by Chuck75

I agree that it is hard to judge it. When I was at the DAV last week they told me that besides my claim being sent to manila for the decision that I am concerned about. They also said that the VA created a program that reads the C&P exam sheets and gives the percentage {ya I don’t believe it works either} they also told me that the computer will automatically rate the bilateral factor by checking what the findings are. I feel that there was a lot of smoke blown at me but it does make sense and will help rate things more correct and faster if it was true. WE Will see!

Diver