VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Very Important Information For Gov. Employees W/30%

Rate this question

Old 5311

Question

DVAAP.Document.pdf

Find out all you can about the DISABLED VETERAN AFFIRMATIVE PROGRAM PLAN!

Each and every agency is required by law to comply with this program, yet each agency needs not to submit a report. It is the responsibility of OFFICE OF CIVILIAN HUMAN RESOURCES to insure this program is implemented properly through each agency. Read the documents thoroughly!

Each and every agency must comply, implement and carry out the intent of the program, just like Upward Mobility, Affirmative Action, and EEO. No implementation or action of this program has ever been conducted by my agency in anyone's recollection. It is law that the program is fully implemented.

Quote from the text: "The affirmative employment DON programs and outreach efforts for disabled veterans will be given emphasis and resources at least equal to those given affirmative employment programs for minorities and women." " This plan is designed to promote federal employment and advancement opportunities for qualified disabled veterans."

This is an over-looked program, (maybe they want to keep it SECRET) yet it has been in place since before 1989 by SECNAV Note 12720, and 7/26/2000 the President issued Executive Order 13163. The Secretary of Defence issued Statute (29 U.S.C. 794c)

You, a 30% or more VETERAN have voluntarily placed yourself in harms way, been injured or perhaps a POW. Perhaps you were personally awarded Purple Heart, or high personal awards or for your exemplary service to our nation in hostile areas. You are in a very small minority group.

Have a great future!

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

DVAAP_Document__2_.pdf

DVAAP.Document.pdf

Find out all you can about the DISABLED VETERAN AFFIRMATIVE PROGRAM PLAN!

Each and every agency is required by law to comply with this program, yet each agency needs not to submit a report. It is the responsibility of OFFICE OF CIVILIAN HUMAN RESOURCES to insure this program is implemented properly through each agency. Read the documents thoroughly!

Each and every agency must comply, implement and carry out the intent of the program, just like Upward Mobility, Affirmative Action, and EEO. No implementation or action of this program has ever been conducted by my agency in anyone's recollection. It is law that the program is fully implemented.

Quote from the text: "The affirmative employment DON programs and outreach efforts for disabled veterans will be given emphasis and resources at least equal to those given affirmative employment programs for minorities and women." " This plan is designed to promote federal employment and advancement opportunities for qualified disabled veterans."

This is an over-looked program, (maybe they want to keep it SECRET) yet it has been in place since before 1989 by SECNAV Note 12720, and 7/26/2000 the President issued Executive Order 13163. The Secretary of Defence issued Statute (29 U.S.C. 794c)

You, a 30% or more VETERAN have voluntarily placed yourself in harms way, been injured or perhaps a POW. Perhaps you were personally awarded Purple Heart, or high personal awards or for your exemplary service to our nation in hostile areas. You are in a very small minority group.

Have a great future!

I hope this program got better than it was in the 1990s. I could write a book about how it failed service connected veterans in New York.

My husband was discriminated against in employment by a federal contractor covered by Vietnam Veterans Affirmative Act and the Voc Rehab act in employment.

In those days a DVAAP complaint could be filed with the Department of Labor.

Rod filed about 14 complaints.Finally the contractor hired him. Their OASVET records revealed they only had two other service disabled Vietnam vets employed statewide. Then in 1991 one was gone off the books.Dont know why-

and they fired the other one after he told them his SC disability ( lost leg in Vietnam) had been changed and now he was also 30% disabled due to PTSD.They canned him.

Rod was hired then laid off and was first in line for recall but they hired a non disabled vet instead of him. He filed another DOL complaint under the Vietam Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act and weeks later when the ADA became law, he also filed a complaint with the ADA.The first from a Disabled vet in NY per EEOC for discrimination due to disability.

He won. DOL was shocked. They claimed there was no evidence of discrimination at all.

The EEOC under the ADA determined bonafide discrimination had occured against him for years by this company.

I hope these laws have changed. In the 1990s they were just lip service and many employers did not abide by them.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta

The Post Office used to say "we may have to hire disabled vets, but we don't have to keep them, yuck, yuck!" So the first time you miss work you get a "discussion" and then letter of warning and then a suspension and then they fire you. You go to MSPB and it starts all over again.

Guest HolliGreen

This is a very interesting topic, I read the post twice and decided not to post, yet I find I am compelled to post on the topic. I am a former GS employee at an installation I sarcastically call "the ninth circle of Hell", I was hired in with a 40% rating (along with an acute exacerbation of MS). As time went on, my MS progressed and I needed "reasonable accommodation(s)". I was a good employee attempting to make a living but the powers that were and still are in place made it their personal mission to can me. I consulted with a civilian attorney (not cheap) only to find out the lowly federal employee is no match for the deep pocketed formidible federal government. I was shunned because of my use of a cane and Canadian crutches, my immediate supervisor sidled up to me and suggested I "just quit", co-workers kept a written log of dates and times I was away from my desk to use the ladies' room...I could go on. Due to the stress and harrasment and the nature of MS, I was absent (due to the MS) frequently. Eventually, at the suggestion of the EEOC director, I put in for disability retirement. This was in 2003. The MS has rendered me TDIU and at this point I am just thankful to be able to get out of bed in the morning.

IMO, the powers that be, pay lip service and like it has been said before, "it looks good on paper"

check out www.federalsoup.com

Guest rickb54

The law is not enforced nor is it followed

case in point:

In 1988 I was denied employment with the Main Post office in Killeen Texas because of my service connected disabity back injury, and the Post master stated this during the interiew.

Two months later, I was hired as a part time rural carrier in Temple Texas 30 miles away.

In 1999 I was forced to medically retire from civil service Fort Bragg because of my service connected back injury. The law says they have to look for another job for a disabled person before they can force retirement. It too them all of 4 days to decide there was no job I could too. I was hired under the law as a disable veteran, with no chances of Rif due to my disability. Yea no rifting of a disabled vet, we will just make him retire...

Laws are only good if infored and the federal government does not support laws that hinder the government from doing what it wants to do.

I believe the only jobs that DVAAP and the affirmative action laws for veterans created were for the non disabled , non -veterans who worked at DOL -shuffling paper for the socalled affirmative action programs for veterans.

During the time my husband was fighting the company that discriminated against him,after his lay off-the company continued to send him their newsletter.

He was shocked to read in it one day that they had hired a Vietnamese accountant and they made a big deal over it.

Yet they were denying war disabled Vietnam vets who were qualified to work there any type of job at all.

I did a lot of research on some of the federal contractors in NY who were supposed to hire disabled veterans.

When they were consistently showing a rate of less than 2 % of all new hires, I knew the laws to protect disabled vets were not working at all.

The VA here didn't discriminate at all against PTSD vets- they hired them and regardless of their work experience they stuck them all in the kitchen in part time jobs and gave them all a hard time.The good full time jobs were filled by nepotism.

I am surprised in the 1990s that some disabled vet stuck in VAMC dietetics didnt go off and beat up the supervisor there. He was absolutely miserable.

Two years ago he was put out on leave due to PTSD.

He never knew he had it and treated the PTSD vets like crap.