VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Heart Attack?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I would not let the VA fix an ingrown toenail, so no worries about me letting them cut me open. I had two surgeries in the last 6 months. I am sure the doctors did EKG's on me and I was cleared for surgery no problem. I was not on the cutting board for 8 hours but I was out with a breathing tube down my throat. The heart issue started when the VA did a CT scan on my left leg and found some calcification in the arteries. Since I have DMII I pushed the issue and filed for artery disease. Somehow that got classified as CAD down the road. Heart disease does run in my family so I let it ride, but I spoke to a cardiologist anyway. He said the tests the VA gave me were pretty useless and only the wire into the groin procedure could really tell if I had blockage. That has risks all its own so I declined.

John

A cath is the most definitive test. It also presents a possible opportunity to do something other than surgery.

That said, it's also true that a cardiologist makes money doing such things as caths and stint implantations.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John said:

Since I have DMII I pushed the issue and filed for artery disease. Somehow that got classified as CAD down the road. Heart disease does run in my family so I let it ride, but I spoke to a cardiologist anyway. He said the tests the VA gave me were pretty useless and only the wire into the groin procedure could really tell if I had blockage. That has risks all its own so I declined."

"classified as CAD"??? could they have possibly meant PAD instead?

PAD=Peripheral arterial disease is separate from PN and VA has to rate it separately.

When Dr. Bash did my DMII IMO, he also stated my husband had PAD. I never claimed it but maybe I should have.

Any form of diabetic neuropathy means the nerves have been affected in such a way that pain can be diminished to the point that a silent heart attack can cause no pain.

I have had a mitral valve prolapse for years and I get a check up from my private cardiologist every year. In July 2012 I had a chemical stress test, echo, EKG, xrays, etc. and my cardiologist said my heart was fine.

Fast forward two months later to September 2012, I had chest pains and a cough. Since I just had what I thought was a thorough heart exam two months earlier, I did not think my chest pains were related to my heart and I went to my private PCP who diagnosed me with bronchitis and bursitis. My PCP gave me some medications which did not stop my symptoms so a week later I went to my pulmonologist who also said I had bronchitis. I went home and about seven hours later I started having even more severe chest pains and my wife called an ambulance. My cardiologist came to the hospital emergency room, ran some enzyme tests which were only slighted elevated and said "just to be on the safe side, I would like to do a heart catherization to see if you might have a blockage."

My cardiologist performed the heart catherization which revealed I had two blockages in my LAD of my heart. One blockage was 99% and the other was 80%. As a result, my cardiologist implanted two stents in my LAD. According to my cardiologist, the LAD is often referred to as the "widow maker" because blockages in the LAD are often fatal. My cardiologist told my wife if she had waited and not called the ambulance when she did, I would probably be dead.

My cardiologist was surprised my heart tests in July did not reveal any signs of blockages and she stated in the future when you have serious chest pains she would have me taken straight to the cath lab and perform a heart catherization rather than relying on other tests. She was true to her word when two months later in November 2012, I started having chest pains. I called my cardiologist and she contacted the hospital and told me to meet her there. When I arrived, I went straight to the cath lab, had another heart catherization and my cardiologist implanted a stent in my RDA due to an 80% blockage.

Same story in August 2013 but different results. I had chest pains, heart catherization but no blockages. False alarm but better to be safe than sorry (or dead).

John, there are some risks with all medical procedures, including a heart catherization, but as Chuck said "a heart cath is the most definitive test" to find out if you have blockages and about to have a heart attack. At a minimum, I would at least have your cardiologist do the heart enzyme blood tests and if they are elevated then do a heart cath. JMO

• HadIt.com Elder

I made an appointment with a private cardiologist. I think he will want to do a heart cath. Do I have to be knocked out for that? I have had two operations in the last six months where I was knocked out. I am getting a little bit scared of going under too often. However, my mother and father both died from heart disease and my sister has already had two heart attacks. My poor brother has CLL. I believe in preventive medical, so if justified I will do what has to be done.

John

John,

They numbed up my groin area and I never felt any pain during the insertion of the Cath needle in my groin. I was placed under "conscious sedation" for all three of my procedures. I was in and out of consciousness during my procedures but I honestly never felt any pain or discomfort. If your cardiologist finds a blockage, he/she will probably implant a stent if the blockage is 70% or more. You will not feel anything when your cardiologist implants a stent. If you do not have any blockages, you will have some peace of mind knowing your heart is ok. After you have had one heart catherization, you will not have any apprehension about having another one. This is my opinion based on my personal experiences.

Good luck to you.

Georgiapapa

John,

You may want to shave your groin area thoroughly on both sides right before you go for a heart cath. If you don't do it, someone at the hospital will do it for you. The first time I had a heart cath, a nurse came in lifted up my hospital gown and thoroughly shaved every part of my privates. It was interesting.