VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Phone Consult, Sleep Apnea Claim, What To Say?

Rate this question

aplcr0331

Question

I have a phone consult with VA doc next week. I have a claim opened (re-open for OSA) right now and they are calling about that. I was sleep tested in 2004. The results were mixed (original claim was denied because it was not a definitive diagnosis) so that claim was denied. Instead of giving me the definte diagnosis of OSA they had me get a Septoplasty in 2004 after the sleep study. Which I completed while still on active duty. I left active duty shortly thereafter and did not get another Sleep Study done, nor was an additional Sleep Study ordered when I filed my intitial claim back in 2004.

I continued to have sleep problems until August of 2013 when I went in for another Sleep Study. I was diagnosed with Severe OSA at that time and re-opened my claim for OSA since I believe that I've had OSA the entire time and that it should be granted Service Connection.

What should I tell them? How will they determine if it is SC or not? Has anyone done a phone consult like this before?

Thanks!

C

Convo was as some on here stated. Just asking about OSA previous instances where it was diagnosed, current diagnoses, etc. The thing that I'm not getting is that I was first diagnosed while on Active Duty back in 2004. The doctor at the time said my results were "mixed". His suggestions were; Sew a tennis ball into a shirt so that it forces me to sleep on my side and get Septoplasty. After my surgery I got off of active duty so was unable to have a follow up Sleep Study performed. When I filed my claim in 2004 the VA did not order another sleep study in all of the C&P exams. My current Doc filled out the DBQ on OSA and I've sent that in.

I'm just waiting for some resolution. Like all of you are on your claims...

Thanks,

C

APlC,

I totally feel you on this one bud. I had a Sleep Study while active in Dec 2012 that was inconclusive because I sleep on my stomach and the wires kept wrapping around me. Right before Christmas I had another sleep study at a Civilian Clinic, and I will go from there I guess. Seems to me that as we know the VA loves to do, that they are giving you the long route to a possible no where. Good luck and keep us posted, you will win in the end. By the way I am young(32) but old at Heart, I love old actors like Steve Mcqueen, I just watched a movie of his the other day, Lol!