VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Laparoscopic Fundoplication

Rate this question

ArNG11

Question

Has anyone tried this aggressive treatment for GERD?

Thanks GeorgiaPapa. I am a little nervous. Surgery is tomorrow, but Im done with the refractive medications. Dietary changes, sleep position changes, eating schedules, OTC drugs, (Zantac, Tagamet, Prilosec, Milk of Magnesia, TUMS, Rolaids) RX drugs and still no good results. The Nexium had worked when I first started with this back in 08-09, however, it was very expensive even with insurance. So decided to go with Omeprazole and had a few good years, then in 2013 it got worse. Changed to Protonix in 2014 and that worked for a little while and then back to Nexium because the Pantaprozole was not working. This crap really sucks and I decided on more serious actions. The procedure itself has given a favorable percentage of people relief and I am willing to go to the next step. I won't know if the doctor will do a full wrap or a partial until after he gets in there and physically sees what will work best. Anxiety is getting the best of me but heh things could be a lot worse. At least I still have private insurance and I believe I am in good hands. I am in the hopes that I will be in the successful percentage of patients that obtained relief taking the surgical route. Time will tell I imagine.

I am still trying to find references regarding any help from the VA regarding the time I'm going to be away from work and the costs associated with this service connected condition. Does anyone have any references or knowledge if this is possible? I'm still working, however, sick leave has been exhausted a few times over. Having to use vacation time.

ArNG11,

I hope you will keep us posted on how your procedure works out so that others, including myself, can use your input to make a more informed decision on which surgery option might work best for our particular situation. I feel Like I will also reach a point in the future where I will need surgery.

In addition to being more invasive, one of my main concerns with the Nissen Fundoplication procedure was it would be difficult , if not impossible, to reverse the procedure. The Lynx procedure can be reversed and adjustments can be made when necessary. I am sure you and your doctor have discussed the pros and cons of the procedure you have chosen so your procedure will more than likely give you some long needed relief.

Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable Hadit members will have some ideas on how you can get some assistance from the VA regarding the time you will miss from your work. If I come up with something, I will let you know.

Good luck tomorrow and take care of yourself.

Georgiapapa

Thanks GeorgiaPapa. I'm not going to deny as I'm waiting here on the prep room before I get my IV. nerves are getting the best of me. I'm committed now, so there's no turning back. Moving forward and advancing is all I have now. I ll catch every one on the flip side. When I wake up and can function I'll keep you guys and gals updated.

Hope things go well for you. I will be watching for your next post.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

Well I'm back from Neverland. The operation went well and normally I would have been sent home, however since I have ITP my doctor wants to make sure it does not cause any complications. My throat is sore and I can't take deep breaths or what is considered deep for me, however that is normal after surgery. I have a spirometer and I am working on it so, so far so good. The soreness in the throat should be gone after several days. At that point I can start to assess how it's working for me. Oh and once they start me on solid foods. So far it has been jello and beef broth. Yum. Believe it or not it's not terrible. I did sneak an Ensure, but only because they were going to start me on a more complete liquid diet. By the way Ensure is expensive. Wow.

ArNG11,

I am happy to hear your surgery went well. I don't know if you needed it, but you will probably experience a reduction in your weight. Please keep us posted on your progress.

I had UPPP surgery (sleep apnea surgery) yesterday morning and came home today. Like you, I am currently using a spirometer because I have a sore throat but mine was caused from the removal of my uvula (little hangy down part on the upper palate) and removal of the soft tissue on the backside of my top palate. I also had nasal turbinate reduction surgery at the same time. These two surgeries were to increase the openings in my airways in an effort to reduce the seriousness of my sleep apnea.

I hope you and I both have a quick recovery.