VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Laparoscopic Fundoplication

Rate this question

ArNG11

Question

Has anyone tried this aggressive treatment for GERD?

Yeah I will keep posting updates. Ensure, soups, and jello and pudding is what I have been eating so far. I did try a chicken noodle soup and it was ok to take down. I still feel the lump in my throat but not with the fire that was usually there. The biggest complain is just the incision points are really sore. Oh and the shaving of the belly make it itch like crazy but thats minor. The bloating form the CO2 gas is a little embarrassing, Mr. Farts a lot. :blink: .10lb lift limit and being careful how I get up and sit down are pain. But heh it could be a lot worse. My doc wanted me off for two weeks but I declined. I reluctantly agreed to One week off work and 10lb weight restriction as far as lifting is concerned. No biggie for me since I am on restrictions for the partial right wrist fusion I had done.

Edited by ArNG11

So far so good. I had a grilled cheese sandwich the other day and other than just chewing the food well no problems. The thing that I have noticed so far is the full feeling. It feels like I ate way too much when in reality I did not eat as much as I was able to before the surgery. That's not a bad thing though, I can stand to loose quite a bit of weight. It will take some adjustment. I did have some granola with yogurt and I tolerated that well. The biggest issue is just to chew the food properly. You know, make it mush that way is easier on the digestive tract. I have read that you can't belch after this procedure but what I have noticed with me is that it is a lot harder to do. I can just not very much, it goes out the other end. More flatulence is an unfortunate consequence. That I believe can be moderated with diet and if possible taking Bean O. The spirometer is a pain but it's necessary with pain management and trying to avoid pneumonia. I've been walking around the house and trying to stay mobile. I have been walking the dogs around the yard and today I will start walking around my neighborhood and see how I do. I plan to go back to work on Monday, I'm already on limited duty because of my wrist surgeries so I should be okay, at least I think so. They have me on a 10b weight limit for my wrists and the same because of this procedure so, paperwork and light duty is what I'll be on for a while.

Glad to hear your recovery is still going well. I can understand why eating habits would have to change for patients who have had the procedure. Although it is not weight loss surgery, it appears this procedure has some similarities to lap band surgery since it limits how you eat your food and how much food volume you can take in at one meal.

Take care.

Yeah thats kind of what I compared it to. Similar to banding the stomach. Except in this case the band is actually the stomach itself. It's too late for me in this process but I would have like to have chatted with someone who had the lynx system you spoke of before hand. I haven't noticed the "windy symptoms" the Lynx website spoke of with the LNF but it hasn't been a week since my surgery. The real positive aspect I have noticed is the absence of burning feeling in my throat. I am hoping that once I am weened off the Nexium, that burning feeling stays away.

Hey I was meaning to ask. With the modification of the uvula, is the gag reflex gone? Can that pose problems? Other than being careful how you eat and making sure you chew your food thoroughly are there any other issues you have to watch out for? Just curious if you don't mind me asking.

So far I can not tell any difference with the modification of my uvula. I am on a liquid/soft diet for two weeks. Pudding, jello, oatmeal, popscicles, etc. No spicy food, citrus juices, colas, etc. I do have to swallow my food slower due to the severe throat pain. I also feel like the opening in my throat is about the size of a pencil from the swelling. I am not having any problems with gagging on the soft diet. I will have to wait and see what happens when I go back on a regular diet. Still taking pain meds due to throat pain and earaches.

Speedy recovery to you then. I wish us both luck. :smile: