VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Laparoscopic Fundoplication

Rate this question

ArNG11

Question

Has anyone tried this aggressive treatment for GERD?

Totally agree with quick recovery for both of us.

Well so far I'm having mixed feeling about the surgery. The good thing about it is that the fire is gone from my throat. The bad is that I really have to be carefull with the food I eat. Still have to stay away from the trigger foods, but the food that I do eat has to be, well, mush, gagging and the lump feeling of something feeling like it's stuck in my throat will occur if I dont. I still don't regret it but the surgery does have some concessions to think about. I will still be on Nexium at least for the time being but that might change later. I have a follow up with the doc next week. Mentally well, frankly here lately my health problems are getting the better of me. But heh I'm still here. Keep fighting, till your last breath.

You know I know that I will have a rating reduction when the VA gets my medical records but I'm wondering how that is going to work. By all metrics I should have been at 30% for the GERD to begin with. If my appeals go through and I get that rating I wonder how long it would be before the VA tries to reduce it. I mean I'll have the scars but they didn't perform the surgery and I might still be on Nexium for a while. Hmm. If anyone has any opinions on this I'd be glad to read about them. Curioius.

ArNG11,

You win the mental battle, your chances are better of winning the physical battle.

First two or three days after my surgery seemed tolerable but now my pain has gotten worse. Severe throat pain and throbbing earaches are causing my teeth to ache at times. Had to increase my Oxycodone and Hydrocodone. Talked to doctor who said this is not unusual with UPPP surgery. Said I may experience the pain for up 14 to 21 days post surgery. Still on soft/liquid diet and have lost about 10 lbs so far because it hurts to eat or drink. When I swallow, pain radiates from my throat out to my ears. Like you, I don't regret the surgery because I believe it puts me a step closer to a better solution for my OSA.

Take care of yourself.

Georgiapapa.

My empathy goes out to you ,GeorgiaPapa, hang in there, believe me I understand.

Had a follow up this week and I'm being taken off the Nexium to see how I do. So far still no burning feeling, however the dysphagia is still there. Still feels like I have something in my throat. I'm pretty much on a regular diet. I even dared to eat fast food, Taco Bell. Not terrible though. I figure it will take a few days until the Nexium is out of my system. That will be the real test. Physically the scars are tender and I'm still achey but manageable.