VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has This Ever Happened To You?

Rate this question

puppyduks

Question

In December, after more than a year of waiting I finally got a letter stating that the VA has requested "the medical center nearest you to give you an exam". I felt good knowing that my C&P was on the way. Three weeks later I got a letter stating that my claim had been denied because I failed to show up for an exam.

I called the 800-827-1000 number and selected the option for them to call me back, which they did within 30 minutes. After explaining that I was never scheduled for a C&P exam, the very nice lady told me that she would have my claim re-opened. I called the number again a week later and another VA rep confirmed that my claim was scheduled to be re-opened and that I did not lose my initial claim filing date, which is good news. This VA told me that it may "take a while" for the regional office to see that the claim has been re-opened.

While I am glad that my claim is back on track, I am growing despondent and feeling defeated. My local VA MH provider has diagnosed me with PTSD and put me on meds. Without a disability rating I cannot afford the copayments for these prescriptions. After the VA attached my wages last November for failure to pay copayments I went off all meds. So here I sit, waiting to get a rating so that I can get treatment.

My question is, does this kind of thing happen frequently with the VA disability claims process or am I just the victim of an isolated error by the VA? Any idea how long I may have to wait to get an exam now that this has happened?

Sorry to hear of your issues bud, and yes this does happen a lot sad to say. Good thing is the VA did reopen the claim and preserved your original Date. Just try to take care of yourself and look to your family for strength. We are always here for you too. I have been fighting the VA for the last 2 years on the same few issues, yet they just keep giving me the runaround as they do most folks on here. God Bless and keep us posted

In December, after more than a year of waiting I finally got a letter stating that the VA has requested "the medical center nearest you to give you an exam". I felt good knowing that my C&P was on the way. Three weeks later I got a letter stating that my claim had been denied because I failed to show up for an exam.

I called the 800-827-1000 number and selected the option for them to call me back, which they did within 30 minutes. After explaining that I was never scheduled for a C&P exam, the very nice lady told me that she would have my claim re-opened. I called the number again a week later and another VA rep confirmed that my claim was scheduled to be re-opened and that I did not lose my initial claim filing date, which is good news. This VA told me that it may "take a while" for the regional office to see that the claim has been re-opened.

While I am glad that my claim is back on track, I am growing despondent and feeling defeated. My local VA MH provider has diagnosed me with PTSD and put me on meds. Without a disability rating I cannot afford the copayments for these prescriptions. After the VA attached my wages last November for failure to pay copayments I went off all meds. So here I sit, waiting to get a rating so that I can get treatment.

My question is, does this kind of thing happen frequently with the VA disability claims process or am I just the victim of an isolated error by the VA? Any idea how long I may have to wait to get an exam now that this has happened?

no it happened to me. i was notified of a c&p exam a day before the exam but i never received a letter from the va. i couldn't make it because i am in a wheelchair and i require special transport. that usually requires, at least, 72 hours notice. it took a bit of a haggle but i got it straightened out.

If you have a MyHealthVet account I would check it to see when your exam was suppose to be. Maybe they are sending your notice to the wrong individual or the wrong address.

Yes, it happens often that a claim is denied because they say a Vet is a no show at the C&P exam. Happened to me but just so happens I had the scheduler's phone number. I called her up and she said not only was it not scheduled, but that she had no request from the RO to schedule one. Whoooops!

You need to get into the RO and do a means test and fill out a co-pay waiver. You can also fill out a form to be re-imbursed for your meds as long as it was a VA pharmacy. You will then get complete healthcare and meds without paying anything. No dental though.

The VA ruins lives assuming one letter reached its destination with no confirmation (if it was ever even sent).

They state they will mail correspondence to "the last address we have on file for you" but good luck finding out what that is.

My last decision package was mailed to an address I had changed months earlier; fortunately my mail forwarder caught it or I could be one of the many vets waiting months/years longer thinking my claim was processing after it had already been denied.

I hope Bob corrects this because it isn't the way a company could treat its customers and stay in business.

You should be able to recover from this with little delay and no impact on your claim.

Good luck!