VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suicide Scars?

Rate this question

BlastDaddy

Question

A few years ago my PTSD was so intense I attempted suicide twice. First by drug overdose and then two months later by slicing my wrists. "Stupid on my part"!

My two questions are;

1. Has anyone ever heard of a way to have the scars corrected so they don't look so bad?

2. Since I did slice my wrist during a PTSD panic attack would they be eligible for compensation secondary to a service connected condition?

Would really be interested in a way to correct the scars if anyone knows of a way.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, you can file a claim for those scars. You may have to appeal, their denial, a few times but you can win. Another idea might be to accept those scars, for what they were, a very poor decision, in a moment of temporary weakness. In 1971, about 3yrs after discharge, I attempted suicide by crashing a 350cc Honda motorcycle into a full-sized parked Ford wagon, at a very high rate of speed. The force of the impact moved the wagon, sideways, over 12." Fortunately, I survived!!! I have many scars and I've accepted them. They remind me not to do something so stupid, again!!!

As for the scars, they may be quite expensive to repair, w/plastic surgery, as it would be elective surgery and most insurance companies won't pay for elective surgery. You could always wear some type of elastic wristbands, to conceal them, until you accept them and yourself for what happened. I think talking to a counselor would certainly help! jmo

pr

Yeah, I'm not trying to get the scar repaired as I've accepted it too. I got sober and off all the pills in 2011. Much damage was done during the 14 years after the deployments. Now since the SC PTSD I'm finding out that the damage can be claimed secondary to the PTSD. But just like many others, I despise dealing with the system. Denials, remands, BVA hearings, C&P exams, lazy and incompetent VA employees, dumb VSO's. The not knowing how your claim is going to be interpreted and how long it is going to take. All the bureaucraptic red tape BS as they collect their $$ GS government paychecks while we end up unconsciously self destructing trying to deal with post deployment issues. Being denied by the very country and system we swore to protect and die for is infuriating, depressing, and personally has led me to suicide. And as far as their "health care", thanks but no thanks. I'm done being a name and a number. We are human fcking beings and we will be treated accordingly. I go outside the system for help, as directed by a VA clinic GS-13 Psychiatrist. I'm Done ranting.

Edited by bionoce

bionoce,

We all have to rant at times. At least when you rant on Hadit, you have people who understand what you have been through and still have to go through. I totally agree with using private healthcare providers. I do the same myself.

Take care of yourself.

You are welcome.

They actually have some massage techniques that help with scars, though they won't completely get rid of them.

There is a bit of information here http://www.integrativehealthcare.org/mt/archives/2007/07/six_massage_tec.html

You can also look up additional information.

Though a lot of the techniques work better on newer scars, I have known a few people who have worked consistently on older scars with some pretty good results.

It is probably better to learn to do this yourself, as you can work the scar a bit every day, or several times a day. Paying a massage therapist to do this could get pretty costly.

Some people have had pretty good results with Mederma cream. http://www.mederma.com/

There are some before and after pictures here http://medermabeforeandafter.blogspot.com/

I am sorry for your pain and am glad you are doing better.

Thank you for your service!