VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Self Inflicted Scars

Rate this question

onrope

Question

I have PTSD and am SC'd for it. I was reading another post about scars and PTSD. Rather than hijack that thread, I wanted to start my own.

After my trauma I never realized what was going on. I would lose touch with reality briefly. Now I realize it was a flashback.

During one of my first episodes I was a 3rd person watching me have a flashback. This is my best explanation. I didn't know what was real or imaginary so I decided to cut myself with my M9. Now I'm left with an 8" reminding scar on my arm. I'm not proud of it. Nor am I ashamed. But nevertheless it's a reminder and imposes fear of what I'm capable of doing to myself.

It happened in the service. I never sought aid. I kept it well hidden until I was out. It was documented during a physical when I entered the reserves. But that was it. I would like to try and get rid of it if it is possible.

1 answer to this question

I also have a couple ugly scars I would like to get rid of. It was recommended to me ask my primary care provider or my MH doctor for the recommendation to be sent for plastic surgery.

As for the third party hallucinations I recommend you let your MH doctor know of them. It can be very dangerous if not treated. I have been given Haloperidol to help prevent hallucinations. It has been very helpful.

Good luck buddy.