VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does C-File Include Service Treatment Records?

Rate this question

SubicBay0311

Question

Does anyone know if your C-file is supposed to include your entire service treatment record?

I have requested a copy of mine and my c-file does not. At a recent C&P exam the doctor noted only reviewing my C-file, and my claim was denied. I am quite sure this was because he did not see my service treatment records.

You really need to review your C-File first before submitting a claim. I made the mistake of striking out on my own before obtaining a copy of my C-File. When I finally did receive it, I found around 90 or so pages of medical records from other veterans, and barely any of my SMR's. I ended up being rated, simply assuming the VA would have had access to all of my military records. Wrong!

After I received my C-File, I immediately started digging up my old documents from records I had on hand, and then submitted repeated requests to the National Personnel Records to obtain other records, inlcuding extremely important entrance and separation examination records. Once I had obtained and put together these records, I immediately shot them over to the VA through eBenefits, fax and via certified mail to help substantiate my NOD.

Don't assume anything with the VA. Also just in case, it doesn't hurt for you to go ahead and start requested records from the NPRC, just to have them on hand in case the VA C-File is missing them. You also never know what you might find that you had forgotten about. I did.

Good luck!

Mark

Edited by MarkInTexas

• HadIt.com Elder

I know some of my SMR's Didn't make it back from Nam, I have tried & tried to get them from NPRC St Louis & RO but all I get is'' Not found''

Ft Hoard Calif I never got any of my SMR's when I got out of the service altho a VA doc, stated at a C&P he review my smr's at the time of discharge he claim they gave me a complete physical, eye /hearing test?

I NEVER REMEMBER THEM DOING THAT?

I remember clearing out getting my ETS records signed and got my steak dinner that was it then I caught the next flight home.

Edited by Buck52

A few points:

1) Service Records SHOULD be in your C-File, but the VA does not always include your entire Service Record file - they sometimes selectively remove portions that they deem irrelevant. Most of the time, they are wrong.

2) Also, ALWAYS request your service records from the Archives every year or so.

Why? Military units are constantly archiving old records and so your files can get updated with additional information from time to time.

3) If you are filing a claim to Reopen a previously denied service connection claim, getting your service records can make the difference between your original effective date (the date of the original claim) or a later effective date (the date of the reopened claim).

Read here to find out more about how newly discovered Military Service Records can affect the effective date in a Reopened Claim.

We make a point to request updates for our clients every year or so, depending on the issues in the claim (once service connection is granted for all the medical conditions you seek, the service records become largely meaningless).