VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Xanax

Rate this topic

I took Xanax for 7 years then was taken off when I was put on paim meds.

I have spent the last 7-8 years not being able to go out very often because of agoraphobia that I didn't know that I had (I knew I couldn't leave home, but didn't know why) until a month ago or so. I have told my local primary care doc. this, but he keeps putting me on SSRI meds. Celexa last and today Lexapro...they all do the same thing to me, and don't stop the severe panic attacks and nightmares.

I have an appointment with the VA psychiatrist next month, but don't want to wait that long. He told me that Xanax works great but is highly addictive...I took it for 7 years without loosing, abusing it. I don't like to ask for a specific drug because I feel like they are going to lable me as a drug seeker, but I don't want to live this way any longer when I know that I can take the pain meds and the Xanax...was told by old private doc that I couldn't when he turned me over to the pain clinic.

Has anybody else had this problem with doctors not wanting to prescribe medications that have a proven track record of treating debilitating panic attacks and agoraphobia, etc. what did you do to get the meds that have worked for you...like alazapram?

Boondoc

Edited by BoonDoc

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been prescribed Xanax at the rate of 1 mg x 4 for over 15 years from VA. Several times I have had some newbie Doc who wanted to take me off. I have never abused it in any way and it is the main thing that treats my agoraphobia. It also helps restless leg syndrome.

You have every right to ask for something that helps you. A good Doctor knows that agoraphobics do not abuse xanax. Good Luck.

Since you are on the internet you might google xanax + agoraphobia there is plenty of info available.

I have an issue with VA in general prescribing drugs they want to without regard to the side effects they can cause. Sure, mild side effects such as dry mouth are no big deal. But right now I am coming down off of Paxil....not fun. When I complained about the very uncomfortable side effects of this and other wonder drugs VA has put me on over the years to avoid dealing with what is really bothering me, these docs just more or less sneer at me.

Liz

• 1 month later...
I have been prescribed Xanax at the rate of 1 mg x 4 for over 15 years from VA. Several times I have had some newbie Doc who wanted to take me off. I have never abused it in any way and it is the main thing that treats my agoraphobia. It also helps restless leg syndrome.

You have every right to ask for something that helps you. A good Doctor knows that agoraphobics do not abuse xanax. Good Luck.

Since you are on the internet you might google xanax + agoraphobia there is plenty of info available.

Well I finally was prescribed xanax again! I had to go through VA psych. and wait to see the head psychiatrist who said "yea it works gret for what you have" and we actually held an interseting conversation for most of the visit that made me feel like we knewq each other....he's contracted by the VA and not a "VA lifer" who doesn't give a crap about anything but getting through the week and then enjoying the weekend.

Anyway, life is getting a little better now that I have something to help me get through the hoildays.....

Thanks for the encouragement while I waited...

Boondoc

• HadIt.com Elder

Goofy Cow

Just be careful about adverse effects of combinations of meds. The VA docs are so dumb they can kill you with bad mixtures of drugs. Many of the foreign docs and old foggies are dangerous. I keep reading in the VSO magazines about how great the VA is and I just don't see it. The VVA magazine was full of praise for the VA health care system. I don't know what they are talking about. I get an inadequate exam every time I go even though my doc is good about referrals.