VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Effective Date Question

Rate this question

11C mortar Gunner

Question

Hello All My Fellow Veterans!

This is my first post, but I have stalked the board for quite some time, getting great info from you folks!

I applied for Comp on 6/6/2014 and asked for it to be expedited because potential homelessness. I noticed on ebennie a change of status and update. As Follows;

06/06/2014 GATHERING OF EVIDENCE Compensation

Decision Notification Sent

Development Letter Sent

So I followed some of the fantastic info you folks have shared and found my AB8 ( never would have known what the heck that was or how to find without you folks ).

It states I am awarded 90% and an effective date of December 1, 2014.

I am curious to know which date they will use for retro award payments, but knowing the VA I'll lay odds they'll use the Dec 1,2014 date.

Have any of you had this experience on effective dates and know what it all means?

Many thanks from an old mortar humper

Your effective date will be 06/06/14. The December 1, 2014 is the date of the most recent COLA for disability compensation. This date confuses a lot of vets.

Good luck to you and thank you for your service.

11c mortar Gunner,

You should start checking your direct deposit account for your retro. I received my retro before I received official notice from the VA.

Working on the assumption this is your first award, the following info is offered:

Since your rating is 50% or above, you are in the VA Health Care priority group one (1) which entitles you to the following:

Free medical treatment (no copays) for any medical condition regardless of whether it is service connected.

Free prescriptions (no copays).

Travel reimbursement for all VA medical appointments.

Reimbursement of your medical appointment and prescription copays retroactive back to your effective date 06/06/14.

Retroactive travel pay for all VA medical appointments back to your Effectve date 06/06/14.

If you were already rated at 50% or higher prior to this award and already knew about the above entitlements, please disregard the above info. It was offered in the event you were not aware of them.

Again, good luck to you.

11c mortar Gunner,

When you receive your BBE from the VA, review the breakdown of your different disability ratings. If you have a single rating of 60% or higher or if you have two or more ratings totalling 70% or higher and at least one of those ratings is 40% or higher and you are unable work or seek substantial gainful employment due to your service connected disabilities; you may be eligible for a TDIU rating of 100%.

If you meet the TDIU criteria, the VA may include documentation in your award package for you to apply for TDIU. If you have any questions regarding TDIU, just ask. My knowledge of TDIU is limited, but we have some great people on Hadit who are extremely knowledgeable regarding TDIU and I am sure they will help you.

11c mortar Gunner,

Good info posted by Hadit member K9MAL regarding TDIU last night. Read VA fast letter 13-13 for the info.

Georgiapapa

• HadIt.com Elder

If the claim was for an increase, they could use 12/1/2014, but, if not, then they should use the date the claim was filed (6/6/2014) as the award date. If they use 6/6/2014, there is no payment for 6/6 - 6/30, as payment begins accruing on 7/1/2014, with the actual payment for July being paid on 8/1/2014. If the claim was for an increase, you can appeal and probably win the 6/6/2014 date. They often shortchange the claimant on increase awards.

As georgiapapa stated 12/1/2014 was also the beginning of the new COLA award. Also, don't forget any retro travel pay they could owe you.

pr

The effective date rules, are generally, the later of the date you applied or the facts found (the date the doc said you were disabled). Since we dont know what your doc said in this regard, we can't really tell you the effective date.

However, if you were already disabled when you applied, and the doc documents this, then, you should get an effective date of July 1.

(Its the first day of the month following your application date)

Yes, PR is correct in that many Vets confuse the Cola date with effective date on ebenefits.