VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does Anyone Know The Answer?

Rate this question

Guest rickb54

Question

Guest rickb54

Hey... I've been told that veterans in wheelchairs get additional compensation just for being in the chair.

I can't find anything official that states this.

Does anyone have an answer? Is this true?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Rick

I don't know the answer but I think you are on to something. If you were to apply for housebound they might bump you up to 100% and give the HB SMC. They have done that before. You know you need the 100% schedular for all the A&A SMC's to be considered down the line. We both know it is hard to get to 100% from IU not matter what is wrong with you. They keep cutting the bread thinner and thinner as you get closer to 100%. What is the rate for you main disability? Could it be rated 100% if it were re-evaluted since you are in the chair?

Guest rickb54
Rick

I don't know the answer but I think you are on to something. If you were to apply for housebound they might bump you up to 100% and give the HB SMC. They have done that before. You know you need the 100% schedular for all the A&A SMC's to be considered down the line. We both know it is hard to get to 100% from IU not matter what is wrong with you. They keep cutting the bread thinner and thinner as you get closer to 100%. What is the rate for you main disability? Could it be rated 100% if it were re-evaluted since you are in the chair?

John, I am presently rated 90% combined, broken down as: 60% back, 60% asthma, 30% COPD, 10% tinnitis, 10% allergic rhinitis, 10% torn medicus of knee, 10% knee arthritis, 10% hemorriods... I also get K award for loss of use left foot, I was awarded adapted housing, and automobile grant with adaptive equipment. I wear a left foot brace, and use a wheel chair because of loss of strength in left leg/foot, left siatic pain with constant lower back pain, and breathing problems. I also get the clothing allowance.

I requested De Novo on the COPD because it should at least be rated 60% as the ratings are almost the same as they are for asthma, I am also trying to get an EED back to June 1986 for the COPD as the medical records clearly stated when I retired, Asthma with COPD secondary as the reason for medical retirement at 32 years old. The va overlooked the copd in 1986 and this after I won a CUE claim for the award of asthma. It wasn't until after I got my medical records, that I realized that COPD was diagnosed on active duty. I requested 60% for the COPD or a 100% rating for asthma with COPD becasue rules state these disabilites cannot be rated as seperate conditions, (even though they are rated seperate) If I can get 100% for the asthma/COPD , then I will be entilted to addition compensation as I am rated a seperate 60% for the back. But I was told by a PVA service officer I am entitled to additional compensation because I am in a wheel chair, and if he is right they are keeping the information hidden cause I don't find it anywhere. If I am awarded the 100% for Asthma/COPD I can then request housebound or aid and attendance because the fact is my wife helps me to get dressed, and such...

Edited by rickb54