VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Is Radiculopathy Rated By The Va

Rate this question

lcplcookba1

Question

I just completed my C&p EXAM on Jan12 however I am scheduled for a neurology exam Feb13 how is radiculopathy rated for ddd by the VA, where I was told to get an EMG for the radiating pain in my legs and feet. Will the VA rate this pain before the get the EMG results or will I have to appeal? or something different, you guys have been great at answering my questions so far. And I am grateful to all!

Edited by lcplcookba1

• HadIt.com Elder

The effected nerves are to be rated separately as Neuritis or Neuragia.

It depends on the severity of the Radiculpathy based on the results of the NCS and EMG.

The ratings are listed in the title 38 CFR part 4. Schedule for rating disabilities.

Basser.

That kind of depends on different variables. Both my ratings for radiculopathy where approved with out an EMG, although my mRi's and EMG indicated moderate on my left and mild on my right extremities. I an fighting those on appeal as we speak. So far the bi lateral factor hasn't been applied and there are ?'s as to the rating difference between mild and moderate and which nerve root it affects. The information above are the correct references for this type of injury.

I wonder how they measure it accurately, because my radiocopathy increases when walking moderate distances. increases bending or standing, ect.

That's exactly my point. Or at least I have mentioned this to VA examiners and C&P docs. When you have central canal stenosis or an impignged nerve different positions and postures can create more or less pain. What eats at me is having the numbness at the same time as the pain. My view on this is as long as there is pain I still have nerves intact and doing there job, unfortunately when the pain goes to numbness I tend to start to worry. I ve stated this before to the doc when you are standing your spine disks and veterbrae are compressing different nerves and nerve bundles, hence when you change positions you can increase or decrease the pain and numbness. Not all the time and neither an improvement always. It sucks. At least I can still walk is all I keep telling myself, even if it is with a limp.

:mellow: Don't know what happened with the server when I was trying to quote. Weird.

I have to say though. Both my C&P were not thorough. No physical touch, no goigameter. Not even the tunning fork or prickly gauge. There is supposed to be a bilateral factor if you are having issues with radiculopathy in both legs. I got a 10% on my left nerve and a 10% on my right. The left is worse than the right. Im in the process of fighting that.