VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Moving Out Of State While Waiting For Appeal

Rate this question

elmersnutz

Question

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Elmer: Your attorney is your attorney, until you dismiss or he requests to withdraw from reping you. Think about it, you could have signed with a National Legal firm that is out of state, in the first place. As long as the Lawyer is an accredited VA Appeals Attorney, where he is physically located is not relevant. With Video Hearings available and numerous VARO Locations for C&P's, can't see where it would be necessary for you to return to your original VARO.

What does your Attorney say? Everyone here might have an opinion but I would consider his as the definitive opinion. Unless you just decided to make this move yesterday, I trust you've been in contact with your Legal Representation, right. What Appeal route did you and your Attorney decide on, DRO Hearing or BVA Hearing? Your NOD date is?

Semper Fi

Gastone

I agree with Gastone. Your physical location won't have any bearing on having to change attorneys. Just make sure you keep the VA and of course your legal counsel advised of your new contact information.

I just went through this,,,, your in a catch -22, depends on how complicated your claim is.. new attorney may suck, would be nice to keep original, but too far to have easy access. So,... I say depends on the amount of complications, if any... also, if you have any hearings, then, you might have travel... I am not happy with my poa change, am working to hard to get things done.. too sick.. it al depends on communication, travel, etc... also, will the new one be good? they are all different... interview a new one and ask those questions...

Most Veterans do not hire an attorney located in his or her state (unless you live in a very big place like NY, Chicago, or LA). I looked for a VA attorney in my town and could not find an attorney who represents Veterans in my small city.

The Board of Veterans appeals, and the Court of Veterans claims are both in Washington DC. If you live in Indiana, a local attorney may/may not be licensed to practice before the CAVC. I say "probably not". So, most Vets who do hire an attorney often have to search nationwide. There may not be any VA attornies licensed to practice at the CAVC in Wyoming.

In summary, dont fire your attorney (at VA) just because you move. Fire him because he is incompetent, lazy, wont return your calls, etc. But dont fire him because you move. Its the worst thing you can do. Why? Example. In your move the VA does a decision, and you never get it because of mail foul ups. Well, your attorney will also give you a copy of the decision. So..you call your attorney to get a status:

Well, what do you think of the decision you received last friday?

duhh, I dont know about any decision?

"YOU dont know? Well I got a copy on Thursday.