VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

As many of you know, social security will send you a letter about 2 years after you get social security disability, asking you if you want Part b. You are automatically enrolled in Part B, but you can "opt out" and save the $104 per month premium for "opting out" of part B. They automatically deduct this $104 from your social security check.

You can "opt back in" for part B medicare, BUT you have to pay a penalty except in certain circumstances, that is, if you have "credible coverage". "Credible coverage" normally means you have health care at work, so you dont need part B. The "Part B" penalty is equal to 10% PER YEAR for every year you opt out of Part B coverage. VA healthcare, for Veterans, is not "credible coverage", according to social security. If I was a VA employee, that would be credible coverage, but VA healthcare for Vets is not "credible coverage".

My question is did anyone else do this (opt out of part b, and then want back in before your age 65. At 65, you can enroll in part b again, with no penalty)

The problem is, now I have to use VA medical care, and can not use a "real" doc through medicare/or a medicare supplement. You can not get a medicare supplement until/unless you have medicare part b.

So, please tell me if you had to pay the penalty for Part B with VA, or if the social security person I spoke with is full of it.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

All you have to prove is adequate coverage and the VA is considered adequate. I did this when I first got medicare cause SSD by itself and 30% from VA was not enough money. I got back on Part B when I told them I had VA and wanted Part B reinstated. At first they talked about the penalty which at 105 would only be about 11.50 if I understand it correctly.

• HadIt.com Elder

if you have creditable coverage for part B &you opt out of part B you pay penalty however when your on SSDI your not suppose to be working ? so unless you mean after you stop working I suppose a person can keep that insurance for part A? IF VAhealth care is not creditable coverage?. you pay the 10%pentaly?

I am confused on this?

You know when I read this I was a little confused. I was under the impression that having VA medical benefits qualified as insurance for yourself in order to avoid the penalty under the new Affordable Care Act. So if the VA doesn't count as creditable coverage why the heck do they send that notification that it does satisfy the new health care laws. Mmm. If VA counts as creditable medical insurance you shouldn't be getting penalized. :huh: