VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bva Closed My Appeal - That I Just Filed?

Rate this question

TiredCoastie

Question

At this point, I'm hoping that there must be some mistake within the 'tron factory that operates eBenefits. At least I'm hoping beyond hope that's the case but have a bad feeling about this. Anyone else have this kind of scare?

My C-file and appeal have been sitting at our local RO waiting to transfer to the BVA. So I've been patiently watching it do nothing for the last couple of months, even after getting a phone call from the RO telling me that they were about to transfer it maybe a month ago.

This morning, eBenefits showed no motion, like usual.

Tonight, when I logged on to check, I found that the appeal has been closed by the BVA, jumping straight to the "Decision & Claims File Dispatch" phase (over stuff like "With the VLJ") with the following note:

Your case has been received at BVA, and BVA has mailed your decision to you (and your representative, if any) and will be returning your claims file to the VA Medical Center. Please note that transit times vary, and there may be some lag time between when BVA forwards your claims file to its appropriate location and when that location receives it.

Huh? My Form 9 was submitted in mid-November 2014. This ISN'T the years of waiting everyone else is talking about. There must be a problem.

AB8 shows no change to my combined rating.

I've emailed the BVA Ombudsman asking for their assistance (thanks, Berta, for keeping that contact info in the forefront).

Is this some sort of mistake? Why would the BVA return my claim file to the VAMC, not the RO? Could the BVA have decided that not enough information had been gathered by the RO to make a decision either way? But why close the appeal, if that's the case?

Could it be that the RO's mistake was so blaringly obvious that it was remanded immediately upon opening? Or is my appeal that screwed up? Or is this just another eBenefit's hiccup?

Found out that the RO are sending out any and everything to the BVA and anywhere else to make there numbers look good. Hadit always said that E BENEFIT is not trustworthy and also Peggy! Glad that I listened to the priceless advice given by Asknod, Paul, yourself and many others. Create a paper trail with proof of documentation!

Found out that the RO are sending out any and everything to the BVA and anywhere else to make there numbers look good. Hadit always said that E BENEFIT is not trustworthy and also Peggy! Glad that I listened to the priceless advice given by Asknod, Paul, yourself and many others. Create a paper trail with proof of documentation!

No kidding! Sounds like that "BVA has decided your appeal..." statement is just nonsense, a catch all phrase that means something has happened with your appeal other than it was certified by the BVA, which could mean literally anything. Adding that one to the list of things to never believe from eBenefits...which is growing. It already contains the projected dates for a claim to pass through the current stage, what the RO has received for a claim, and the latest compensation payment before the 1st of the next month.

Glad I found hadit, too! Asknod has been a huge help, as has Berta, Carlie, John, and a bunch of others. I wouldn't be where I am today with my combined rating if it weren't for them.

Really hope your RO can get you a decision on your appeal soonest, or at least certify it and move it on, and I hope your decision is correct. I think you're right about the ROs being in a rush to move appeals and claims. Having thought through the DRO decision I received, it looks like he rushed to judgment. At least he decided a previously denied condition in my favor. But because he went with an analogous condition rather than the correct one from 38 CFR 4.124a, the RO did not include 6 months of 100%. So they got the rating right, but made an error (or maybe two) on the retro payment worth thousands of $$$.

Seems like every time I get an answer, no matter what it is, there is always more work to be done. Bureaucracy at its finest!

Hopefully I will get a quicker response on my appeal too. Congrats to you on your appeal.

Thanks! I hope you get a quick response too. Of course, in my case, nothing is ever finished...