VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100 Percent And Working

Rate this question

Vetta

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You are eligible to file for SSDI. I would do as others say and just wait until you get the award letter. If you are 100% with Chapter 35 Benefits (P&T) unless you are TDIU you might be able to continue to work. Would VA money replace you working income? If you become 100% for PTSD then working is probably not such a good idea since that DX at that level of disability usually precludes working. If you are self-employed you can often keep working just never mention it to the VA. If you apply for SSDI then working becomes even more of a "No, No". Of course you can do a little work under SSDI but poverty level stuff and they will look at you. Just read you award letter carefully and post results with name and any identifying numbers blacked out.

John

The above statement is not true.

If the veteran is working VA will reduce his/her combine rating and he/she would be rated at 80% without the TDIU. ( 30% and what ever they rate his/her PTSD).

Veterans awarded TDIU can get a MWR ID card for commissary and PX privileges and still not be P & T.

VA rarely grants P & T for a mental health issue. It happens but VA looks a depression/PTSD as a curable disability.

Pete is correct, I am rated at 80% but award TDIU. I am awaiting P&T because the VA has to wait and see if my issues stabilizes. We all know that spine issues only progresses mainly if there is nerve damage.

I can go the any military base and go the commissary and PX. I just haven't been over to MacDill AFB to get my military ID card. Thanks for reminding me Pete I need to take a trip over there next week sometime.

My award letter stated I had a future exam in Feb 2016. What the VA is doing is going by what SSDI is doing. They thought I was going to be able to have surgery but I was told No surgery will help because there is no way to fix the joints in the spine.

Anyway yes you can get an ID card from any military base. You need your DD214, VA Letter that reads your entitled to commissary priviledges. Now, if you are in the DEERS system then you are good because they know your entitled. They will see your rating and TDIU award.

You are eligible to file for SSDI. I would do as others say and just wait until you get the award letter. If you are 100% with Chapter 35 Benefits (P&T) unless you are TDIU you might be able to continue to work. Would VA money replace you working income? If you become 100% for PTSD then working is probably not such a good idea since that DX at that level of disability usually precludes working. If you are self-employed you can often keep working just never mention it to the VA. If you apply for SSDI then working becomes even more of a "No, No". Of course you can do a little work under SSDI but poverty level stuff and they will look at you. Just read you award letter carefully and post results with name and any identifying numbers blacked out.

John

This is a biggy. Wait until your award letter then if its 100% then go file SSDI.

Sorry to jump in but i have a quick question! Can you file for ssdi when you are still working at 80%? I heard you had to be out of work for at least a year to file!

Eric

• HadIt.com Elder

I highly disagree

If your Awarded TDIU with or without P&T If you work and VA finds out via SSA with holding tax ect,,ect,, they will propose a reduction in rating not sure what the proposed reduction will be?

I do agree about the previlage to get a commissary card & ID card at 100% with or without P&T

However a veteran can work being 100%

Regardless of your percentage....IF VA AWARDS YOU TDIU THEN YOU CAN'T WORK!!!!!! IF YOU DO WORK AND VA FINDS OUT ABOUT IT YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR TDIU RATING!!!!!!

Edited by Jeffersonrl68