VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100 Percent And Working

Rate this question

Vetta

Question

This is a biggy. Wait until your award letter then if its 100% then go file SSDI.

Pete is correct, I am rated at 80% but award TDIU. I am awaiting P&T because the VA has to wait and see if my issues stabilizes. We all know that spine issues only progresses mainly if there is nerve damage.

I can go the any military base and go the commissary and PX. I just haven't been over to MacDill AFB to get my military ID card. Thanks for reminding me Pete I need to take a trip over there next week sometime.

My award letter stated I had a future exam in Feb 2016. What the VA is doing is going by what SSDI is doing. They thought I was going to be able to have surgery but I was told No surgery will help because there is no way to fix the joints in the spine.

Anyway yes you can get an ID card from any military base. You need your DD214, VA Letter that reads your entitled to commissary priviledges. Now, if you are in the DEERS system then you are good because they know your entitled. They will see your rating and TDIU award.[/quote

Do you think I would need an appointment?

You are eligible to file for SSDI. I would do as others say and just wait until you get the award letter. If you are 100% with Chapter 35 Benefits (P&T) unless you are TDIU you might be able to continue to work. Would VA money replace you working income? If you become 100% for PTSD then working is probably not such a good idea since that DX at that level of disability usually precludes working. If you are self-employed you can often keep working just never mention it to the VA. If you apply for SSDI then working becomes even more of a "No, No". Of course you can do a little work under SSDI but poverty level stuff and they will look at you. Just read you award letter carefully and post results with name and any identifying numbers blacked out.John

The VA money would replace it next year. I'm putting my niece thru colledge she graduates this year so that's an expense I can do away with.

Vetta: T & P might be problematic, but IU is still good, right. Can You or Can't you work, that is the question. With both VA IU and SSDI you can only have Earned Income that is considered below the US Census Poverty Level for (1) person, currently $12,400 if under 65 ($11,350.00 65+). With VA IU, there are certain extenuating circumstances where income in excess of the $12,4 would be considered marginal income and not automatically cause a problem with your IU award. I'm not sure if SSDI has the same exceptions.

When you finally get your VA Award/Denial Rating Envelope, a complete discussion regarding your Award, Evidence Etc will be discussed in detail. You'll also note towards the last couple of pages, the VA will advise you that your Eligible for the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Program. Understandably, the VA would like to see you get Vocationally Rehabilitated so that you could earn in excess of Poverty Level income.

Each year, near the anniversary date of your IU Award, your required to file a VA Employment Income document verifying that you haven't exceeded the 1 person poverty level income threshold. If you don't file, the VA could send an intent to reduce notification letter. Something you really don't want. Be very careful, familiarize yourself with all IU reporting requirements and comply. As for self-employment and just not reporting, don't even consider it. RIGHT-OFFS, RIGHT-OFFS! Report ALL your EARNED INCOME, after ALL your DEDUCTIONS. Shouldn't be any reason/need to try and game the IU program. $36K Tax Free VA + SS/DI $18K+or- and up to aprox $11K earned income =$65K. What IU Vet in or close to being in their RIGHT MIND couldn't make ends meet and/or would jeopardize any of it?

Semper Fi

Gastone

Vetta: T & P might be problematic, but IU is still good, right. Can You or Can't you work, that is the question. With both VA IU and SSDI you can only have Earned Income that is considered below the US Census Poverty Level for (1) person, currently $12,400 if under 65 ($11,350.00 65+). With VA IU, there are certain extenuating circumstances where income in excess of the $12,4 would be considered marginal income and not automatically cause a problem with your IU award. I'm not sure if SSDI has the same exceptions.

When you finally get your VA Award/Denial Rating Envelope, a complete discussion regarding your Award, Evidence Etc will be discussed in detail. You'll also note towards the last couple of pages, the VA will advise you that your Eligible for the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Program. Understandably, the VA would like to see you get Vocationally Rehabilitated so that you could earn in excess of Poverty Level income.

Each year, near the anniversary date of your IU Award, your required to file a VA Employment Income document verifying that you haven't exceeded the 1 person poverty level income threshold. If you don't file, the VA could send an intent to reduce notification letter. Something you really don't want. Be very careful, familiarize yourself with all IU reporting requirements and comply. As for self-employment and just not reporting, don't even consider it. RIGHT-OFFS, RIGHT-OFFS! Report ALL your EARNED INCOME, after ALL your DEDUCTIONS. Shouldn't be any reason/need to try and game the IU program. $36K Tax Free VA + SS/DI $18K+or- and up to aprox $11K earned income =$65K. What IU Vet in or close to being in their RIGHT MIND couldn't make ends meet and/or would jeopardize any of it?

Semper Fi

Gastone

Edited by Vetta