VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100 Percent And Working

Rate this question

Vetta

Question

Vetta: The VA has notified you of intent to appoint the Financial Fiduciary, have you had the Personal Interview yet? My brother-in-law's VA Dr put "Depressed and possibly financially Incompetent" in his progress notes, within a month, the VA was setting up the Fiduciary Dept Personal interview. At the interview, my bro-inlaw stated the same things you referenced and my wife corroborated his ability to handle his own finances. The Fiduciary Social Worker agreed to just monitor my Bro-laws checking account and expenditures on a monthly basis, so no begging for $$.

As soon as I was made aware of the possible VA Fiduciary involvement, I had my Bro-inlaw, his sister and his Daughter set up a Bank Account at the same bank with all there names as joint. However, the account was listed with his sister as the Primary account holder. All funds from his Direct Deposit account were then transferred into the side account. If a VA Fiduciary is appointed, they immediately take control of all funds currently in your Direct Deposit Account.

As it turns out, my bro-inlaw probably did need the VA Fiduciary. My wife (his sis) took over paying all his bills, in reviewing his check book, it turned out his X Wife was tapping him on a monthly basis for $500+ for Vet Bills and maintenance of his dogs. When she learned he was terminal, she wanted to remarry and take care of him, Ya for the DIC.

Semper Fi

Gastone

By interview do you mean hearing? No I havent I just received the package Friday. I'm in the process of writing a letter stating that I feel I don't need a fiduciary. There's a number listed for me to call if I want a hearing which I do. The letter stated that I can bring a VSO or a lawyer. Which leads to another question.

I was dianoised with ptsd/mst around 7 months ago although I suffered with the symptoms ( nightmares, panic attacks depression among other things) for over 20 years. I kinda went into this blind contacted the VFW on several occasions via emails and phone calls asking them with for help filing my claim to no avail. I decided to file without any representation. At the time I didn't know about VSO's (still don't ...)

How do I get a VSO or lawyer to represent me? Which one would be better.

I know time is of the essence and I want to move fast on this.

Thanks

Vetta: My brother-inlaw was notified of the Fiduciary Appointment and was scheduled for a in home interview by VA Fiduciary Caseworker. I've read numerous warning articles regarding the problems and possible cost of the VA fiduciary program, primarily on VAWatchDog.org. My understanding is that once the VA decides you need the Fiduciary, it's very difficult to stop. I think a personal interview is always required. As in my B-Inlaw case the Caseworker agreed with monthly monitoring. You do have the option of requesting a trusted Friend or Relative be appointed as your Fiduciary. It's not an automatic appointment, they have to pass a Financial Background check.

I would absolutely start the appeal process regarding the fiduciary appointment. No idea of how fast the appeals are heard. I think the VA will in some way shape or form attempt to protect your finances, right or wrong. You have to remember, something you or your Dr's said or put in your clinician's notes has triggered the VA's decision to appoint the Fiduciary.

Sure hope this works out for you

Semper Fi

Gastone

VF: Trying to get a VA Lawyer without a Denial or Retro on the table might be impossible. As for Veterans Service Office Representative, sounds like you already tried VFW by phone. That's not really the best way, need face to face, preferably at their main office at your VARO. Their usually on the same floor as the VA and within walking distance of the VA sign in desk. Not all VSO Reps are the same, usually the more Senior REPS ARE ALSO THE MOST EXPERIENCED. That would be the Rep I'd be looking for. Youmight have some luck calling their Main offices at the VARO and asking for the most Senior Rep. DAV,VFW, VVFW and Marine Corps Leauge all have offices. You could check with your county offices, should be a State Veterans Affairs officer that could help you. You just need to get a hold of a Rep that has extensive Fiduciary knowledge and experience. Check out, VAWATCHDOG.org. The VA Fiduciary is discussed in great detail. ASKNOD's web site might cover it also.

My limited VA Fiduciary experience indicates that once the VA issues the Decision to appoint a Fiduciary, the train has left the station. You might be able to get a Trusted friend or relative that is Qualified per VA requirements appointed or even get away with a monthly review of your finances. In the end, I believe the VA is going to protect your money in some way, shape or form. The VA Fiduciary Appointment may or may not be rightous but something is going to happen in the very near future.

Time is not on your side. fill ou the New VA NOD Form (on line if possible) and request a hearing just to be on the safe side. Then get busy researching the VA Fiduciary regs. I don't recall from your prior posts, which Dr said you wern't capable of handling your own finances? Any reason given?

Good Luck

Semper Fi

Gastone