VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu And Commissary And Px Privileges

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

December 14, 2006

In Reply Refer To: 216B

Fast Letter 06-27

Directors (00/21)

All Regional Offices and Centers

SUBJ: Commissary and Exchange Privilege Letters

The purpose of this letter is to advise regional offices that there has been no change in Department of Defense (DoD) or VA policy regarding commissary and exchange privileges for veterans rated 100% for individual unemployability (IU).

On May 10, 2000, Fast Letter 00-37 transmitted a ruling by DoD’s General Counsel that clarified the issue of commissary privileges for veterans rated 100% disabled due to IU. The ruling was the result of an apparent conflict between M27-1, Part I, Para. 3.08b(2), and a Department of Defense July 11, 1998, order that prohibited commissary and exchange privileges to those veterans.

DoD instructed its facilities that “honorably discharged veterans determined by the VA to have a service-connected disability of no less than 60%, but rated 100% disabled based on individual unemployability are entitled to MWR, Commissary and Exchange privileges.” This instruction is still in effect. M21-1, Part VII, Para 5.08b is still in effect except for the references to VLET, which PCGL letters have replaced.

In issuing letters for commissary and exchange privilege purposes, regional offices must use one of the three PCGL AB3 letters. They are: Future Exam Scheduled, No Future Exam Scheduled, and To Surviving Spouse. Do not use any other letters, and do not include any reference to an IU rating in the PCGL letters.

/s/

Bradley G. Mayes, Director

Compensation and Pension Service

Unless something has changed I believe this is still in effect. If I am wrong please correct me. I don't see anything that says a veteran has to be P & T. I believe that a veteran rated 100% will have an expiration date on their MWR ID Card (the date of their new/future exam). I believe for 100% P & T veterans and Surviving Spouses they get an Indefinite MWR ID Card.

Edited by pacmanx1

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

According to this, You are correct.

I wonder why the people at the ID card places state that a vet has to be Permanent and total to receive this benefit?

This directive is effective June 2014.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/133017p.pdf

J, this is what I found on the site you gave

3. PATRONS AUTHORIZED COMMISSARY PRIVILEGES. This section lists the individuals, organizations, and activities entitled to or authorized unlimited commissary privileges, except when prohibited by treaty or other international agreements in foreign countries.

a. Uniformed Personnel. The following categories of uniformed personnel are authorized commissary privileges:

There are others sub sections but this seems to agree that a veteran does not have to be P & T. see pages 8-9

e. 100 Percent Disabled Veterans. Honorably discharged veterans of the uniformed services classified by the Department of Veterans Affairs as having a 100 percent Service-connected disability or a 100 percent unemployability rating are authorized commissary privileges.