VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Benefits For 100%

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

I`m hoping to get 100% with my NOD filed recently. Can any of you tell me about certain benefits?

(1) If you get Champva for your child how much of college is covered and can they go to any school?

(2) As for health insurance, can you or your family go to any doctor and how much is co pay?

(3) Are all prescriptions covered and how much is co pay and do you have to go to VAMC to get them?

(4) At the 50% I am at now can I get any eyeglass coverage or any of the above coverages concerning medical?

THANKS MUCH GUYS & GALS......

Cavman

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Cavman-I can answer part of this- if you get 100% P & T (Permanent and Total) then your family will most likely be eligible for CHAMPVA-the Civilian Health and Medical Program through the VA.

It takes application directly to CHAMPVA with the award letter to get this approved.

More CHAMPVA info is at:

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/champva.asp

A 100% P & T vets spouse and children are eligible for Chap 35 benefits usually until the age of 26, which can be extended if they have military service too.

The school must be VA approved.I am Chap 35 student and the VA pays a stipend that is comparable to the tuition.

Chap 35ers have to pay the tuition first before the VA will reimburse.

The full applications for anyone in your family eligible for Chapter 35 will come attached to the 100% P & T award letter.

But it depends on the P & T criteria in addition to the 100% award-just like CHAMPVA.

This is why vets who do get 100% awards request the P & T status as soon as they can.

Not all 100% vets are successful in getting P & T status but they sure should keep trying.

/champva/champva.asp

A 100% P & T vets spouse and children are eligible for Chap 35 benefits usually until the age of 26, which can be extended if they have military service too.

Berta please expand on this my son is 26 but he did 4 years active duty

My daughter had 7 years of military service and applied for her Chapter 35 when she was 25.

The regs clearly state that the length of service-in her case 7 years-would be added to the 26 year old cut off date.

Maybe my story will help you Jim- VA Education Dept is an oxymoron sometimes.

I told her to apply in ear.ly spring because this way we would have time before she used the benefit to fix it when the VA screwed it up.

She thought I was kidding.

She also has the GI Bill but wanted to use this benefit instead.

She sent the Chapter 35 application and marked it clearly whereever it asks for info on prior military service,sent copy of her DD 214,and copy of her dad's 100% P & T award letter that stated she and I were eligible, and thought that would do it.

Three weeks later she called me cursing like a trooper because they awarded her Chap 35 but only up to her 26th birthday-which was only 2 months away.

She didnt need a lot of credits, had already gotten many in the mil but she was really ticked that they didnt add on the 7 years .

We sent them a Notice of Disagreement with the complete app again, her DD 214, the award letter again but I sent her to enclose the actual Chapter 35 reg that extends for military service and I highlighted it and she put this regulation as being enclosed within the Notice of Disagreement

Three more weeks later she got her formal award for ,by then one month plus 7 years of Chapter 35 and they had sent her school the proper certificate too.

Geez--- she couldn't believe how they could make an error like that. I do. They messed up my Chapter 35 too.I forget what they did on that but I nodded it and my school and I got the Certificate of Eligibility in 3 more weeks.

VA Education messes up claims like the VARO but they react much quicker to the NOD when they mess up.

I sure hope your son doesn't go through this - he should have 4 years more eligibility for his Chapter 35.

The app. is at the VA web site, and he needs to send copy of his DD 214, and your award letter for 100% P & T, and maybe he should send them the regs too like we did-

and he should do this well before he expects to start college-

so they have time to mess it up and then fix it.

It pays to have the college already picked out- I think this saves time.

They were able to send my Certificate of Eligibility and my daughter's to our college right away (same school) I was able to access a VA counselor at the school for my stipend before I started.

This helped coordinate my benefits with the VA.

The VA school counselor could verify my tuition was paid and how long my courses ran.

He might want to check us out- American Military University:

http://www.amu.apus.edu/index.htm

My daughter is going to get her Masters at AMU -it is quite a school-

all on line, some proctored exams however.

I am in their Military Studies program and am going to graduate with Honors after 2 more courses.

The VA has paid about 10,000 so far towards my degree.

PS he will have to estimate his long term tuition cost on the Chap 35 application.

My school was $750 per 3 credit course so I multiplied this by the degree credits I still needed and put an estimate which the VA did not question.

I`m hoping to get 100% with my NOD filed recently. Can any of you tell me about certain benefits?

(1) If you get Champva for your child how much of college is covered and can they go to any school?

(2) As for health insurance, can you or your family go to any doctor and how much is co pay?

(3) Are all prescriptions covered and how much is co pay and do you have to go to VAMC to get them?

(4) At the 50% I am at now can I get any eyeglass coverage or any of the above coverages concerning medical?

THANKS MUCH GUYS & GALS......

Cavman

Cavman,

I'm at only 10% and I just got a pair of regular glasses and a pair of reading glasses. Eye exam, prescription then a chit to fill the glasses prescription. Got them in 30 days!

Objee

Cavman,

I'm at only 10% and I just got a pair of regular glasses and a pair of reading glasses. Eye exam, prescription then a chit to fill the glasses prescription. Got them in 30 days!

Objee

Objee,

Do I just walk into a VAMC or should I call and mane an appointment?

Cavman